Terms and Guidelines
What is an African?
The Ligali definition of African explicitly refers to ethnicity and not nationality.
The definition of ‘ethnicity’ and ‘ethnic group' became more formally defined in UK law by a House of Lords decision (Mandla v Lee 1983) as relating to those with 'a long shared history and a distinct culture'. We recognise the commonly expressed criteria used for establishing an ethnic identity as;
- Having a unique name
- Having been descended by common ancestors
- Having a common mythos of origin
- Having a common history
- Having a common culture
- Having a geographical / territorial association
- Having a solidarity feeling
Who is a member?
Ligali recognises a member of the African family by several markers including but not limited to their physical appearance. As such we accept all people who fit this criteria, have an African parent and seek to embrace African culture and history as being ethnically African.
Who is a visitor?
Ligali's definition of African does not include those who are ethnically non-African but holding African nationality. It also recognises that there are some who are ethnically African but seek to reject or disrespect African culture and history as part of their own identity.
We acknowledge their right to self define as 'black', 'coloureds' or 'negroes' but not to assert that identity on these forums.
1 .Visitors share similar forum permissions as members but the ability to start topics without the explicit support of an member is limited to the Feedback and Suggestions forum.
2. All new visitors are subject to a 3 month probationary period.
3. Visitors will only able to re-edit their own posts within ten minutes of it being submitted.
4. Visitor accounts will expire after a period which typically will not be less than six months.
5. Visitor accounts will expire for those who frequently post without contributing to the agenda or ethos of these forums or adhering to their stated reason for wanting to join.
6. Visitor accounts will expire for those who deliberately and consistently disrupt or divert the direction of threads.
7. A visitor will be able to have their account 'renewed' if sponsored by at least three members.
What is forums Pan Africanism ethos?
"United, Africa could become one of the greatest forces for good in the world… I believe strongly and sincerely that with the deep-rooted wisdom and dignity, the innate respect for human lives, the intense humanity that is our heritage, the African race, united under one federal government, will emerge not as just another world bloc to flaunt its wealth and strength, but as a Great Power whose greatness is indestructible because it is built not on fear, envy and suspicion, nor won at the expense of others, but founded on hope, trust, friendship and directed to the good of all mankind."
Kwame Nkrumah, I Speak of Freedom: A Statement of African Ideology, 1961
To help Ligali remove disruptive posters and other anti-African saboteurs we request that members update their user profile information and answer the mandatory questions we require of all posters.
1. Are you African?
2. The Ligali forum is for African people to discuss Africentric issues, why did you want to join?
We will remove without warning any account and associated posts that does not adhere to the principles set out in our Terms and Guidelines below.
The Ligali forums are designed to encompass mature, open, honest and sometimes controversial discussions about African affairs. Yet whilst we welcome robust debate, for this to work without descending into anarchy we also endeavour to cultivate an environment of basic courtesy and respect.
Our policy leans against any form of censorship but to make this work we advocate that all posters embrace our ethos of accepting personal responsibility for everything that they write. We believe strongly in the ‘right of reply’ and would suggest that if you find something offensive on our forums that you respond online explaining why it’s offensive before contacting the moderating team.
To help Ligali remove disruptive posters and other anti-African saboteurs we request that members use the ‘My Controls’ link to update their user profile information by answering the mandatory questions we now require of all posters.
NOTE: Ligali is an Africentric forum which does not recommend usage of colour in reference to ethnicity; in particularly we view usage of the label ‘black’ when used in reference to African people or culture as offensive.
1. The Ligali forum is all about free speech and honest open debate. It is NOT about disrespectful personal attacks. It is strictly forbidden to post uninvited intimate information about another forum member. Consistent abusive behaviour could result in us deleting your account and reporting you to your ISP (Internet Service Provider) or employer if you're logging on from work.
2. The Ligali Organisation is a staunch advocate for African equality and justice. As such we reserve the right to edit or delete messages left on the forum including without limitation any message which we believe to be anti-African, anti-Women, pornographic or abusive.
3. By submitting information to these forums you grant the Ligali Organisation a non-exclusive world-wide royalty-free perpetual non-recoverable license to use, distribute, adapt, modify, display, reproduce and transmit such information in any and all media in any manner in whole or in part without any duty to account to you. You also give the Ligali Organisation the right to grant licenses to users of the Website to view and copy such information for personal use.
4. Users are prohibited from posting any material (including text, still images, moving or still images containing text, audio or audio visual files) which:
a ) Is in contravention of any relevant local, national or international law or which incites or encourages the contravention of any such law
b ) Is defamatory of any person, entity or organisation
c ) Infringes on the rights (including the intellectual property rights) of any person, entity or organisation
d ) Is advertising goods, services, events or a product
e ) Contains languages other than English or an African Language (with English translation)
f ) Is considered offensive or abusive in the opinion of the Ligali Organisation.
g ) Is classified by Ligali moderators as 'spam'.
5. The Ligali Forum is a distinct independent entity hosted and administered by the Ligali Organisation. Posted comments express the views of the author of the message, and not necessarily the views of the Ligali Organisation.
Should you find any post which you feel is in contravention of the above rules, please inform us by sending us an email at email@example.com.
We ask all new members (and visitors) to contribute to the 'New Members Introduce Yourself' thread before posting on the forums.
Thank you and enjoy the forum.