• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    Jamaican

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (Tunduzi @ Dec 15 2006, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Coltrane. Appendices like foreskins are not superfluos but serve a purpose. Appendices serve in the digestion of babies in the womb and eary children. They help with immunity at that stage. Because the function was unknown until relatively recently it does not follow that it had no function. Sure you can do without it as an adult, like you can live on one kidney or one eye but would you argue that having two eyes is being greedy and we should be happy with one? lol

You really got a bee in your bonnet about this topic and it's funny how other man's tings concern you so much.

LOL laugh.gif
I was born with two ears and one mouth. One guess as to which should be used more.

#22 The Freelance Scientist

The Freelance Scientist

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2358 posts
  • Interests:Education, Politics, Current Affairs, Dialogue with the community and others.

I like going to the gym, playing football and travelling the world. I'm at university at the moment.

• Cultural Heritage:
    Mandinka

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:04 AM

Hopefully, they're going to crack down on this s***!

http://www.thepoint....adlines1523.htm

Circumcisers can Get
7-year Imprisonment If…
Friday 22nd December 2006

By Pa Modou B.O. Bojang & Sarata Jabbi-Dibba

Circumcisers are liable to get seven-year imprisonment if found guilty of committing harmful practices such as female circumcision, also known as Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), said Ms Isatou Harris, a legal practitioner at the African Commission on Human and People Rights.

Ms Harris was quoting the Maputo Protocol enacted by African Heads of State and government on 25 November 2005, at a two-day sensitization workshop organised by the Foundation for Research on Women’s Health, Productivity and Environment (BAFROW), held last Wednesday at the Mandinaba Model Camp in Kombo East.

The aim of the workshop is to promote the knowledge on the domestication and implementation of the Maputo Protocol on FGM and the advancement of women and girls.

Lawyer Harris further said that state parties would prohibit and condemn all forms of harmful practices which negatively affect the human rights of women and are contrary to international standards.

State parties shall take all necessary legislative and other measures to eliminate such practices, she added, noting that this could also be done through sensitization campaign in all sectors of society.
[i]The Freelance Scientist: He Is The Eternal Student.

#23 Eccentricity

Eccentricity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    South Africa

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:07 PM

Male circumcision is mutilation. In this day and age, no need for it. Religion/culture aside, I'll bet the whole thing came about when a bunch of guys, happily enjoying their "organs".. decided the best part was under the hood.. just in the way.. so chop it off they did... not realizing it would desentisize them eventually. rolleyes.gif

but on a more serious note:

for women - It has never been determined why clitoral removal was ever implemented. It crosses all religious and cultural boundaries - almost as if someone "important" just made it up and made it law.
for men - gone are the days when people bathed once a month (if lucky) and personal hygeine is now the norm. Chopping off normal, healthy parts of yourself shouldnt be a normal procedure - it should be questioned as is every other aspect of our humanity as we grow and develop - we should be able to distinguish the need vs habit for these types of things. the WHO should stop advocating circumcision as a tool to slow the AIDs epidemic, and should rather invest in viable, affordable, preventative measures.

more and more people in the "western worlds" are opting to remain uncut. I would encourage all expecting parents to leave their boys whole. Fighting against male circumcision culturally/religiously is a whole other ball game.

#24 Voo

Voo

Ligali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1306 posts
  • Interests:History, politics, literature, music, language, culture, people, progression and revolution...

• Cultural Heritage:
    Parents were born in Grenada

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (Timeline @ Jun 21 2006, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
because male circumcision is "in style" Not being circumcised is analogous to an insult in western society these days. When it falls out of style for men to be snipped at the tip...then more males will complain and less will rush their kids off to go through the same questionable procedure.

Completely disagree.

If you view this in the context of the West, you may well call it a 'fad'. But if you view in the historical context, its something that has been happening for centuries and centuries. I am not debating the origin of it, but to simply say this is down to a 'fad' completely negates the long established cultural basis of this ritual....
"To kill a woman is to kill humanity itself"

#25 Eccentricity

Eccentricity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    South Africa

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE (Voo @ Apr 20 2007, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Completely disagree.

If you view this in the context of the West, you may well call it a 'fad'. But if you view in the historical context, its something that has been happening for centuries and centuries. I am not debating the origin of it, but to simply say this is down to a 'fad' completely negates the long established cultural basis of this ritual....

many european countries have not, and still do not, cut their men. i'd be inclined to think that the newly formed cultures of the Uk and USA adopted circumcision as a norm for health and income - nothing to do with religion or culture.

#26 Eccentricity

Eccentricity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    South Africa

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:56 AM

as china - who have adopted it recently (10-15 years ago) why? health? cosmetics? fad or friction?

#27 Voo

Voo

Ligali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1306 posts
  • Interests:History, politics, literature, music, language, culture, people, progression and revolution...

• Cultural Heritage:
    Parents were born in Grenada

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (Eccentricity @ Apr 21 2007, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
many european countries have not, and still do not, cut their men. i'd be inclined to think that the newly formed cultures of the Uk and USA adopted circumcision as a norm for health and income - nothing to do with religion or culture.

Aren't "newly formed cultures" as you put it in fact "established" cultures that have been adapted or manipulated? The were not new creations plucked from the air. I still assert that culture and a sense of tradition, no matter how vague, is the biggest reason why the brothas I know are circumcised.
"To kill a woman is to kill humanity itself"

#28 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
  • Interests:Pan Africanism & Human Rights
    Female Empowerment
    African Literature, Film and Arts
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Circumcision is an affront to decent human behaviour

We rightly decry female genital mutilation. Why, then, are so many happy to condone the male equivalent?

By Catherine Bennett, The Observer, Sunday 22 July 2012

... the controversial judgment by a regional German court, following a case in which a Muslim boy suffered a botched procedure, concluded that the "fundamental right of the child to bodily integrity outweighed the fundamental rights of the parents". The boy could decide for himself, later, if he wanted to be circumcised.Circumcision enthusiasts from usually contradictory faiths united to denounce a ruling that Germany's Central Council of Muslims described as a "blatant and inadmissible interference" in parents' rights.

Full Article: http://www.guardian....umcision-is-bad

A european court has ruled that male circumcision is illegal. Politicians in Germany have committed themselves to over ruling the decision, the question I guess is do we as Africans regard the circumcision of our male children a parental right or a violation of a child's right?

I am in favour of male circumcision but I have bias in that I was circumcised as a child and was happy to do the same with my son on cultural/traditional grounds.

However as an adult I do accept and have sympathy with the argument that the removal of a childs "healthy and normal female genital tissue" is a choice and not a scientific or medical necessity but do not equate it to an "inexcusable assault on a child's physical integrity" or uncivilised behaviour.

#29 stellaweis

stellaweis

Contributor

• Expired
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Mixed (AA and German American)

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Circumcision is disgusting. Its child abuse and should be banned. For males, I know some people do it but its unnecessary. My ex was cut and my current bf isnt and its just as good. For girls, its savagery. The clitorus is a gift from Minerva and defines our womanhood.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users