Photo

Marcus Garvey: Look for me in the Whirlwind (Documentary)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Diasporan Dawta

Diasporan Dawta

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Our people, critical thinking, creativity, the connection between the past, the present and the future... reading, social enterprise

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    X

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:52 AM

#2 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3859 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Thank you for pasting the online version of this widely available DVD onto the messageboard.

While it no doubt contains useful material, the near complete absence of the world's leading authority on the life and work of Marcus Garvey, Professor Tony Martin, is somewhat troubling, and I would suggest that some study of the crticial reviews of the film might be useful:

Responses to Stanley Nelson’s Public Broadcasting Service documentary on the life of Marcus Garvey, "Look for Me in the Whirlwind" (click for more)

#3 Diasporan Dawta

Diasporan Dawta

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Our people, critical thinking, creativity, the connection between the past, the present and the future... reading, social enterprise

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    X

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:50 AM

What is obvious to one person is what the next person is oblivious to, so sharing that which is widely available is fine with me. As for this particular case, the widely available DVD's mentioning brought about the mentioning of a documentary that I and possibly others here did not know about.

I didn't post any accompanying disclaimers, yet holding almost any film or documentary to be without inaccuracies (unintentional or otherwise) can be problematic, especially in the case of leaders and movements in which betrayal was a major theme.

We who wish to learn are humble enough to be teachable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users