Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    Grenadian/Guyanese

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:55 AM

I've just read that Garri Holness, the man who lost one of his legs in the King's Cross bombing, was a convicted rapist. Yesterday it was reported that he was cleared, but today it transpires that he got 7 years and served 3, and that he also has a burglary conviction.

This man had his leg blown off in a terrorist outrage and is campaigning for better compensation for the victims of 7/7 - however the media is concentrating on the fact he has crmininal convictions.

Do you think this is right? I'm not condoning rape (or any criminal act), but I'm not sure what his past crimes has to do with what he's doing at present.

What do you think?

#2 technocrat

technocrat

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:00 AM

is he black?
IPB Image

#3 Lady Vee

Lady Vee

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Grenadian/Guyanese

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:01 AM

Yes

#4 technocrat

technocrat

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (Lady Vee @ Nov 17 2005, 10:01 AM)
Yes

well theres yr answer.
IPB Image

#5 technocrat

technocrat

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:06 AM

takes the heat out of the anthony walker story for a little while anyway.
IPB Image

#6 lovedaddy

lovedaddy

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Jamaican

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (technocrat @ Nov 17 2005, 10:06 AM)
takes the heat out of the anthony walker story for a little while anyway.

There's no conspiracy on this one I'm afaraid. The Scum Newspaper even had the Walker story as a far bigger headline today; it was front page.

So can I add Garri Holness to the list list of other "community" role models who are deviants on the side.

The bit I don't get is if you had done such nasty tings in the past, why on earth would you take some high-profile media role? I know he lost his leg...he should have lost his danglies 20 years ago with a pair of rusty pliers....

It may sound like I'm jumping on a bandwagon, but I am so let down by this news you can't believe. There are some things you can forgive; rape most definitely not one of them...

Chop up im pee-per tu rass.....

I often think that the adage of "The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth" is a fallacy; bad things happen to good people more often than the other way round. However, this is one of those occasions where a man has been rightly "outed" by the press...

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for prisoner rehabilitation. My only caveat on it is that the crime perpetrated is not of a "serious" nature. Short of killing someone, rape is the worst thing you can do to someone. It can be argued that it is even worse. I cannot and will not ever believe that a rapist should ever be released from prison or can be changed,

Garri Holness to me is the lowest of the low; he may well have spent the last 19 years saving children, and curing horrible diseases. It makes no difference to me...he is a rapist and always will be....

He should crawl back under the nearest stone and remain there, never to be seen again...

Edited by lovedaddy, 17 November 2005 - 10:44 AM.

#7 JamaRican

JamaRican

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (lovedaddy @ Nov 17 2005, 10:24 AM)
I often think that the adage of "The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth" is a fallacy; bad things happen to good people more often than the other way round. However, this is one of those occasions where a man has been rightly "outed" by the press...

Whoah, this is the first time I am hearing this.

It really confuses me that this man would thrust himself in to the public eye for sympathy. If he gets compensation, will he share it with the traumatised female he raped?

Lovedaddy, you are too right
What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger.

#8 Lady Vee

Lady Vee

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Grenadian/Guyanese

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:28 PM

It was mentioned in one report that the maximum compensation for a rape victim is £13,500, while the victims of 7/7 want a lot more.

#9 JamaRican

JamaRican

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:44 PM

In answer to your question, Lady Vee: No, his past has nothing to do with his current struggle and of course, the media will hold forth any example to prove the criminality of Africans.

However, he is a victim of violence lobbying on behalf of other victims of violence who has committed violence on someone else in the past. Surely this irony has not been lost on the media. I don't know how much sympathy I can grant him, considering my feeling that he is justly on the receiving end of the stick this time.

That being said, I, in no way, feel that anyone deserved to be bombed on the way to work.

#10 SoFrolushes

SoFrolushes

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    African-Caribbean (Jamaican)

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:06 PM

this reminds me of that white rapist who won millions on the brit lotto. all his victims their families etc wanted his millions. he won the money near the end of his sentence and instead of him paying his way the media hyped it up so much that he cant spend his money but the tax payers are keeping him

he did bad and now what goes around comes around. but what i dont get is what does money do
My colour is my Joy
Not my burden!!!!

Think outside of the box....Think in spirit.....

#11 Lady Vee

Lady Vee

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Grenadian/Guyanese

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:11 PM

Jamarican,

I accept the irony of the situation. However, I wonder how many other victims have had their past actions scrutinised in this manner?

The way he has been villified is on par with the rapist that won 7 million on the lottery.

I think that as this has come out, the battle for more compensation for the victims of 7/7 is far from over, and this will detract from that issue when, in fact, it should have no bearing on the matter.

I do believe, however, in karma, and I feel that he should give some of his compensation to the victims (they were 2 girls who were gang raped).

#12 Gazelle

Gazelle

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    BUQ

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:42 PM

Does anyone have a link to the story?

#13 Lady Vee

Lady Vee

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Grenadian/Guyanese

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:53 PM

Gazelle,

Try this link.

http://www.thesun.co...5530509,00.html

#14 lovedaddy

lovedaddy

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Jamaican

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:54 PM

You can find it here:

Rape secret of 7/7 victim

Rape lie ... Garri Holness

By MIKE SULLIVAN,
SIMON HUGHES
and VIRGINIA WHEELER

A VICTIM hailed for his bravery after losing a leg in the 7/7 bombings is a gang rapist who has cynically lied about his shameful past,
The Sun can reveal.

Garri Holness, 38 - leader of a campaign for compensation over the London terror outrages - took part in a horrific attack on two teenage girls.

When confronted earlier this week about his conviction 20 years ago, he insisted he was later cleared on appeal. That was a LIE.

Yesterday The Sun challenged Holness - and he confessed the conviction was NEVER quashed as reported in the Daily Mail.

He admitted misleading the paper, saying: "I knew all this was going to come out and I was scared and confused. I told the Daily Mail and they believed me.

"I felt under pressure and wanted to nip it in the bud straight away - make it go away. I realise that I made a mistake."

Holness, who met PM Tony Blair and Tory leader Michael Howard at a memorial service for the bomb victims, stands to collect £50,000 for the loss of his left leg. Victims of multiple rape get £13,500.

Musician Holness was one of a gang of six thugs who pounced on two 16-year-old girls as they walked home from a concert.

The blonde and brunette victims, both privately educated, were bundled into a dank garage at council flats in Brixton, South London.

They were stripped and raped a savage 45 times by the brutes. During their 1½-hour ordeal, a knife was held to the throat of one girl.

Holness - 18 at the time and going under the name of Gary "Star" Linton - was one of four monsters convicted of raping both victims.

He was jailed for seven years. The attack sparked public outcry - with MPs demanding longer sentences for Holness and his fellow rapists.

Yesterday Holness claimed he tried to stop the rapes - a lie he gave during his trial.

He said: "Of course I feel for the girls who were attacked all those years ago. I would have loved to sit them down and see how they are doing.

"I feel so badly for what those girls went through - and what I have gone through. How much more can a person take?"

He claimed to have assumed his conviction had been quashed when he was freed from jail after only three years.

But he said he was shocked to discover it was still on his record when he was arrested for burglary three years ago.

Holness was on the Tube train blown up between Russell Square and King's Cross.

He said: "I never asked to be in the public eye by sitting 2ft away from one of the suicide bombers. And I'm not a bad person. I have a good heart."

#15 Tunduzi

Tunduzi

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:05 PM

In my mind these are two completley seperate and unrelated issues.

The rape issue is the one of disgust yes and I think we should all support and increase in penalties against rape. The sentance should be longer and compensation higher. btw to correct somebody I believe he served only 3 of 7 years because he gave evidence and attempted to stop the event happening.

That is one thing.

The completely seperate thing is of a ex convict being able to recieve compensation for injuries sustained. I'm all for it otherwise what is the point in rehabilitating people. It's like how people make it near impossible for ex cons to get a job. My friend had to leave the country and come back under an assumed name to get a job after two years of trying on the dole after serving a relatively minor sentance. IMO once your time is up that's it. TWENTY years on you can't still be imposing more punishments on somebody who has already had their prescribed punishment. It makes a mockery of the whole thing. Yes he should have served more time but once that time is up then it's up.

People comparing the compensation to his victims of 20 years ago to him are missing the point. It's not that he shouldn't get any, but that they should have got far more and that needs changing.

He shouldn't have been so limelight hungry though, I really don't understand that. Any moron would have known the papers would dig up everything... it's what they are supposed to do.

#16 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1523 posts
  • Interests:Pan Africanism & Human Rights
    Female Empowerment
    African Literature, Film and Arts
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:39 PM

“I think [they were] warped individuals, with no life - need a goal in life, to say that they have done something in life to be a martyr….. and I feel sorry for them in a sense because they didn't have a brain to think that what they are doing is not right.”
Gary Holness on London Bombings
http://news.bbc.co.u...don/4744475.stm

I can’t and won’t defend this so called 'man'. mad.gif

It’s been so hard to source any information on the original crime and I loathe basing ANY decision on information sourced from the Sun and The Daily Mail of all places.

Nonetheless if this is true (and it looks very likely that he did commit this crime) then what he did makes me sick to the stomach. I’ll be glad that he’s been exposed as a greedy fcukin hypocrite and in the same manner that I will never again support the convicted/suspected rapists and paedophiles Tyson and Robert Kelly, I will never provide any form of cover for someone who willingly participated in the gang rape of teenage girls.

I don’t want to go into the issue surrounding compensation, for me this is primarily an issue of focussing on morality instead of debating calls for better cash based justice.

The fact that liberals are talking about his self sacrifice by him bravely representing the concerns of other bombing victims when in reality all he is really doing is campaigning for more money for himself makes the whole debate even worse. It is so annoying to see some of the media making political capital out of this but in this case I don’t believe there’s much we can or should do. I probably wont attack him again in public, but if I ever get to meet him in person then I’ll gladly explain how I feel In private. ph34r.gif

It was a good move by the europeans. We are caught either defending a hero we never sanctioned or attacking one of our own while simultaneously reinforcing the myth that even the ‘nice’ ones amongst us are all potentially rapists and thieves.

Once again we were played by the BBC who in its arrogance artificially created this ‘black’ hero for us with their excessive reporting on BBC Breakfast, news, etc from his hospital bed. Even the mayor’s boy Lee Jasper nominated him the greatest living ‘black’ Londoner on BBC London.

Click below to listen;
http://www.ligali.or...lack_briton.wma

Perhaps now some of us will see why we need to choose our own African Icons instead of celebrating european appointed ‘black’ role models.

http://www.guardian....1542695,00.html
http://www.lse.co.uk..._on_xmas_lights

#17 safetyblitz

safetyblitz

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:43 PM

If I have not learned anything from the media in the UK is that they do not even try to be politically correct in any shape fashion or form.

Calling the rapists animals and brutes since they were of African descent. Yet I have to go MGL on this one and say when a group of white teens commit a gruesome crime like leaving an axe embedded in an African Briton teen's skull, the offender is described as a simple youth. Plus I am still trying to figure out why the need to mention to the public that the girls were privately educated? As if to say that if they had been publically educated it would have been more acceptable?

I am not condoning the rape of the girls or support of the man for his money, most of you know what I have said about guys and their chances of getting caught on the matter, but it still puzzles me on how the descriptions given by the media there easily let you know if they are considered African or european. Your newspapers are starting to make Fox news look neutral.

I think that I learn more on more on the thick racial premises you guys put up with everyday. Geez! blink.gif

#18 JamaRican

JamaRican

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:02 PM

Safetyblitz, I grew up with the horrible journalism of the Daily News and New York Post... papers that barely pretended to report objectively. The papers here in the UK are absolutely worse!!!!!

Every paper/television org has a political affiliation and agenda, bar none. Let's put it this way: if a Samoan attacked a Paraguayan and there were riots... would you send in a Samoan reporter, a Paraguayan reporter or a Canadian reporter? When the unrest happened in Birmingham, they sent in ASIAN reporters.

The best you can do here is read a few papers and assume that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

#19 Sooofresh

Sooofresh

Loyal Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:49 PM

Lady Vee

bluntly...........he deserved to have his leg blown off........simple as!

and no he should fight for other victims of 7/7............he should not get anything

he already been forgiven by society by a)still walking alive, other countries would'ave excuted him b)he got given shelter, food via dole or work

would it be nice if Stephen Lawrance killers got compensation for 7/7

and as lovedaddy wrote..........the nature of the crime is important..........if he was a bank robber then that is different.

#20 Lady Vee

Lady Vee

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Grenadian/Guyanese

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:56 PM

Just seen today's Evening Standard. Guess what's emblazoned across the front page???

Carrying on from Safetyblitz's comment(welcome back after your enforced absence, btw), the Sun said the girls were blonde and brunette, thus leaving us in no doubt that the victims were europeans.

I have to agree that anyone could see this being dug up, so is this man stupid or just plain arrogant?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users