Female Empowerment
    African Literature, Film and Arts
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

This beautiful spirit joined the Ancestors after violently being taken from us following her return home from the UK. She had been there just over a year.

I start this new forum at the same time you are being committed to soil in St Vincent in memory of your creativity, passion and genuinely kind and loving nature.

We miss you.

As you join the Ancestors may they be pleased with your work.

Posted Image

About me

I am a painter, jewellery designer and sculptor living in London. I began my career as an artist in the mid-eighties designing multimedia material for warehouse parties, clubs and stage shows. During this time my work took me to Japan, Australia, North America and europe where my interest in the arts grew and I began to express myself through painting and sculpture.
Growing up in London has shaped my work and the city is a great place to live and create.The biggest impact on my working technique came through the first visit to my homeland of St Vincent. I was completely overwhelmed by the vibrancy of colour and richness of the culture, something that I had expressed previously in my painting without understanding where the inspiration had come from. This visit inspired me to paint more frequently. I later traveled to Senegal and The Gambia which gave greater meaning and understanding to my work. I spent six months working with artists and sculptors and have made many return visits

More than anything I love to travel, sit on a beach, catch fish, eat, read and make things.
I have a BA in Jewellery Design from Central St Martins. During the time studying my paintings took on a sculptural quality with many of the pieces showing the delicacy of fine jewellery and a sculptural quality in the form of collage, print and surface decoration.

I have enjoyed working as a freelance designer and maker producing processional sculpture and costumes with EEA and educational work with KORI. I also work with the Indigo Collective and I am a member of the art group Colour and Movement. I am really into sculpture at the moment and have completed two pieces for Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry Ireland and a collection of child friendly sculptures for Dulwich Park in London.

Commissions at the moment include illustrations for a a book on alternative medicine, illustrations for a children's book and I am developing a prototype for a compact sound system casing. I am also working on various merchandising items for clients, these range from t shirts and sculpture to soft furnishing. You can also find a radio interview at Soul Visions.
I am also about to start work as concept artist for the animated feature film Ankoyes Sword.

I work from my studio in South London. Although I love the time I spend locked away in my studio, I also enjoy working on collaborative projects with other artists and in community settings. I am also available to teach workshops and give talks.

Source: http://www.pepperstorm.co.uk

Posted Image

#2 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

On 1 July 2012, four 'men', Sheldon Gurley (27), Randy Gurley (23), both of Diamond, St Vincent, Yshangus McMillan (18) and Sjada Daniel (18) of Prospect, St Vincent, all labourers, were arrested and charged jointly with the murder of 46 year old artist and educator, Jennifer Lewis who was shot dead in at her home in Belevedere, St Vincent, in the early hours of 17 June 2012, two days after her birthday, having moved there to care for her 88 year old mother, following the death of her father.

The accused 'men' appeared at the Serious Offences Court and were remanded in custody. The Preliminary Inquiry is for hearing on 23.November 2012.

Posted Image

Jennifer Lewis
Artist, painter, jewellery designer, sculptor and carer
Rest in Peace
May she raise on the wings of Ma'at after a favourable judgement in the council of Asar.

#3 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
  • Interests:Pan Africanism & Human Rights
    Female Empowerment
    African Literature, Film and Arts
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

@ MarcusGarveyLives

Thank you so much for sharing those details.

The gathering assembled last night in honour of our sister was a fitting tribute in celebration of her life, talent and immense popularity and importance to both those within the art community and those far outside it.

#4 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

"Sometimes in life we encounter people who impact our lives simply because of their essence—those that can affect change in the world, not only by using their gifts, but also by being caring and kind to all those they meet. Jennifer “Pepperstorm” Lewis was such an individual. Her boundless energy, generosity, and talent surpassed borders and boundaries, and her infectious personality and kind disposition touched the lives of many ..."

A Posthumous Interview with Jennifer Lewis aka Louie Pepperstorm  (click for more)

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users