Female Empowerment
    African Literature, Film and Arts
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

....sorry I cant do more at this time but if you still feel the children may be at risk then please consider asking for outside help. sad.gif

How Do I Avoid The Cults?
Cults use sophisticated mind control techniques that will work on anyone, given the right circumstances. Those who think they are immune are only making themselves more vulnerable. Remember the assult is on your emotions, not on your intellect.

The two basic principles of psychological coercion are:
1.If you can make a person BEHAVE the way you want, you can make that person BELIEVE the way you want.
2.Sudden, drastic changes in environment lead to heightened suggestibility and to drastic changes in attitudes and beliefs.
BEWARE!

Protect yourself! Why go away for a weekend or longer with a stranger or a strange group unless:
•You know the name of the sponsoring group.
•You know its ideas, beliefs and affiliations.
•You know what is going to happen at the gathering.
•You know what will be expected of you.
•You know that you will be free and able to leave at any time.

UK based support for families
http://www.cultinfor...k/faq.html#cult

US based support for families
http://www.rickross....rningsigns.html
http://www.rickross.com/prep_faq.html

#2 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
  • Interests:Pan Africanism & Human Rights
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:42 PM

Please read this article published 25 July 2009;

'They stole my parents'
Clara Salaman's mother and father raised her within an austere spiritual organisation. The society came first – even before family. She rebelled and the fall-out continues
http://www.guardian....n-clara-salaman

Africans please be aware:
http://www.pujasforwellbeing.com/
http://www.ayahuascaceremony.com
http://www.hozhofoundation.com/
http://www.raisingth...nefeminine.com/
http://www.herbaland...gsanctuary.com/
http://www.willusurvive2012.com

More...
http://www.avatarhea...stinations.com/
http://singingrainfo...uary/index.html
http://ibogabeautifu...ng-journey.html

Information on Doomsday Cults
Before you risk your spiritual wellbeing and that of your friends and family please pause to consult with those wiser than yourself. Do not waste your time and money spending hundreds of pounds for worthless 'Puja, Prayer and/or [some] astrological Chart' without doing some independent research first. There are many genuine healers out there who will work without charge. The abuse of DMT's by manipulative hustlers can be a very life changing but also dangerous experience.

"Native people DO NOT believe it is ethical to charge money for any ceremony or teaching. Any who charge you even a penny are NOT authentic."

Source: New Age Frauds and Plastic Shaman
(An excellent site run by a genuine group of Native people and their supporters)

More Info:
2012 Doomsday Cults
2012: Tsunami of Stupidity
Is Ayahuasca illegal in UK?

#3 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

Two die at US spiritual retreat

Two people have died and 19 others were taken to hospital after being overcome while in a sauna-like room at a spiritual retreat in Arizona.

Police said 64 people were inside a so-called "sweatbox" at the Angel Valley resort for up to two hours before many of them became ill.

The pair who died were a middle-aged man and woman, police said.

Investigators are speaking to staff and guests and carrying out toxicity tests in an effort to find out what happened.

The 70-acre retreat near the town of Sedona, about 115 miles (185km) north of Phoenix, offers holistic treatments and spiritual retreats in a natural setting, according to its website.

Reports said some of the sweatbox participants had paid up to $9,000 (£5,700) for their stay at the retreat.

The resort offers a wide range of treatments from massage to colon cleansing, healing carried out by harnessing the consciousness of a dolphin, or "vortex experiences", in which participants "experience our human energy system interacting with the earth".

Local TV images showed the "sweatbox" to be a dome-shaped frame covered by tarpaulins and blankets.

During the sweatbox experience, the tent was gradually filled with steam generated by pouring water on to fire-heated rocks brought inside the dome.

The sweatbox has traditionally been used as a ceremonial sauna in rituals practised by some Native American cultures.

The intense experience can be dangerous to people with pre-existing medical conditions or if the sweatbox is poorly constructed or badly managed.

Critical condition

The actual cause of the two deaths at Angel Valley remains extremely unclear, police said on Friday.

Homicide detectives were among investigators combing the site, with tests being carried on air inside the dome and searches of buildings at the retreat, Yavapai County sherriff's spokesman Dwight D'Evelyn said.

Police are also investigating whether any of those taken ill had pre-existing medical conditions or were fasting, he said.

"There are a lot of issues that may have led up to these injuries and deaths," Mr D'Evelyn told the Associated Press.

"It's not something you would normally see at one of the resorts there, and it is unfortunate regardless of the cause."

Twenty-one people were taken by ambulance and helicopter to hospital on Thursday night.

Two were listed as being in a critical condition on Friday. Half a dozen others were said to have been discharged after making a quick recovery.

Verde Valley Fire District Chief Jerry Doerksen told AP that people had begun to emerge after about two hours in the sweatbox, feeling light-headed and weak.

He told AP he had sent a hazardous materials team into the sweatbox to test for substances such as carbon monoxide and other contaminants, but that nothing out of the ordinary had been found so far.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/8299991.stm

#4 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

"James Arthur Ray took a group of more than 50 followers into a cramped, sauna-like sweat lodge in Arizona 10 days ago by convincing them that his words would lead them to spiritual and financial wealth.

The mantra has made him a millionaire. People routinely pack Mr Ray's seminars and follow the motivational guru to week-long retreats that can cost more than $9,000 (£5,500) per person ...

... Mr Ray has become a self-help superstar by packaging his charismatic personality and selling wealth. Those who first attend his free seminars hear a motivational mantra that promises they can achieve what he calls "harmonic wealth" – on a financial, mental, physical and spiritual level.

His technique is a combination of New Age spiritualism, American Indian ritual, astrology and numerology ..."

Source: Self-help guru's empire rocked by sweat lodge deaths

#5 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

Self-styled guru Michael Lyons accused of raping seven vulnerable women (click for more)

#6 Black Lion

Black Lion

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

Woah, Woah hold up...

Sounds like you guys have taken a lean in on spiritual groups after your experience with a bad one .lol. The majority of groups you've listed or at least the ones I've had the chance to click on are completely harmless and legit, the sauna death incident also caused a stir in the *ahem*, "esoteric community". I'm no paranoid conspirational theorist or anything of the sort but the word, "Cult" becomes the word, "Culture". As Afrikan people you should all know that such "cult-ures" have always existed in our communities from the nations of the continent uniting to form new understandings to the Americas eg; Candoble & Vodun... don't you feel the need to draw distinction here?

#7 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

Woah, Woah hold up...

Sounds like you guys have taken a lean in on spiritual groups after your experience with a bad one .lol. The majority of groups you've listed or at least the ones I've had the chance to click on are completely harmless and legit, the sauna death incident also caused a stir in the *ahem*, "esoteric community". I'm no paranoid conspirational theorist or anything of the sort but the word, "Cult" becomes the word, "Culture". As Afrikan people you should all know that such "cult-ures" have always existed in our communities from the nations of the continent uniting to form new understandings to the Americas eg; Candoble & Vodun... don't you feel the need to draw distinction here?

@Black Lion
To be honest i didn't have a bad experience with a 'spiritual group' in the way you suggest as I have never been a part of one other than Ligali. To make the distinction as you ask, there are those we can trust, indeed some of the most gifted healers I know would even be described in western terms as having 'mental health' issues, and then there are the others that are to be frank... so addicted to their own bs they are full off it.

I have had friends who have been poisoned after taking 'medication' concocted by these 'indigenous' magical sages, I have had another friend who desperate for a cure for a potentially fatal illness 'donated' a large proportion of their life savings to be healed by a plastic shaman, i know a sista who had to be rushed to hospital after an 'African mystic' almost mashed up her insides with 'traditional brews'.

My family and I have been attacked, harassed and threatened by one (or maybe two when i think hard about it) AND over the past few years i have been made aware of several and i do mean several people that have been abused, manipulated and physically, emotionally and mentally harmed by cults professing to be spiritual but in reality only interested in commodifying African spirituality by making money from endless 'lessons', 'rituals', 'ceremonies' and 'apprenticeships' or serving the ego of some self appointed egotistical leader.

Don't get me wrong. As I said, I know of (and still consult) healers who use traditional recipes for curing certain ailments in my family circle, I also know healers who provide spiritual counseling that I am comfortable enough to speak to without fear that they will betray my inner most secrets and exploit me for the purpose of making cash or personal gain.

But this thread was created not just because of my own experience, hurt and anger at spiritual hustlers preying on our community, but also because many people have since (and prior to) asked for my help or advice on this matter. For personal reasons I have kept relatively quiet and I am not wholly comfortable with that decision. The consequences can often be dangerous.

Hence the information in this thread simply represents one of the ways that I try to help others avoid going through what I and many others have had to endure by offering guidance for people (especially friends and family members) who desperately need assistance in dealing with this issue.

It may not seem so serious to you, but in my experience the trauma these cults (and some 'born again' religious churches led by charismatic charlatan pastors) cause to vulnerable people is substantive, destructive and long lasting and when examined with hindsight have very little to do with the traditional spiritual ways of our Ancestors.

There's been way too much silence on these kind of topics almost with us waiting for a panorama type program to expose it on TV, this way, if people want to trust these crooks then at least if they do it after reading these pages they do so with their eyes wide open. Sadly an option that was not there for earlier victims.

Peace

#8 Black Lion

Black Lion

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:29 PM

Understandable... theres a level of insanity amongst many of us out there, people looking for themselves and coming up with all sorts of unnecessary nonsense, felt as though your point was being made in a somewhat scattered way. I'm all for a more, "spiritual" liberation. Obvious that there are various power vacuums in our communities and they're being filled with junk, if there were a level of authority in these matters a lot of the charlatans wouldn't have space to exist but at the moment its all a bit of a melee people giving up their personal power to others who lack in it themselves. Is a shame, it really is the way forward but what can you do in the midst of a plague?

Apologies if I sounded assumptive.

Peace
Black Lion

Edited by Black Lion, 20 December 2010 - 04:30 PM.

#9 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

There was a fascinating article published today titled;

What happens when you try to leave the Church of Scientology?
The story of film director and screenwriter Paul Haggis's resignation - 23 April 2011

I have supplied an extract explaining their beliefs but please click the source link below and read the full article. Its a really interesting read, detailed and revealing about the practices behind the kinds of cults/movements that claim some spiritual enlightenment but in truth are just con artists with a plan.

... By now, Haggis had begun advancing through the upper levels of Scientology. The church defines an Operating Thetan as "one who can handle things without having to use a body or physical means".

"The process of induction is so long and slow that you really do convince yourself of the truth of some of these things that don't make sense," Haggis told me. Although he refused to specify the contents of OT materials, on the grounds that it offended Scientologists, he said, "If they'd sprung this stuff on me when I first walked in the door, I just would have laughed and left right away." But by the time Haggis approached the OT III material, he'd already been through several years of auditing. His wife was deeply involved in the church, as was his sister, Kathy. Moreover, his first writing jobs had come through Scientology connections. He was now entrenched in the community and had invested a lot of money in the programme. The incentive to believe was high.

---

In 1985, with Hubbard in seclusion, the church faced two of its most difficult court challenges. In Los Angeles, a former Sea Org member, Lawrence Wollersheim, sought $25m for "infliction of emotional injury". He claimed he had been kept for 18 hours a day in the hold of a ship docked in Long Beach, and deprived of adequate sleep and food.

That October, the litigants filed OT III materials in court. Fifteen hundred Scientologists crowded into the courthouse, trying to block access to the documents. The church, which considers it sacrilegious for the uninitiated to read its confidential scriptures, got a restraining order, but the Los Angeles Times obtained a copy of the material and printed a summary.

"A major cause of mankind's problems began 75m years ago," the Times wrote, when the planet Earth, then called Teegeeack, was part of a confederation of 90 planets under the leadership of a despotic ruler named Xenu. "Then, as now, the materials state, the chief problem was overpopulation." Xenu decided "to take radical measures". Surplus beings were transported to volcanoes on Earth, and bombed, "destroying the people but freeing their spirits – called Thetans – which attached themselves to one another in clusters."The Times account concluded, "When people die, these clusters attach to other humans and keep perpetuating themselves."

The jury awarded Wollersheim $30m. (Eventually, an appellate court reduced the judgment to $2.5m.) The secret OT III documents remained sealed, but the Times' report had already circulated widely, and the church was met with derision all over the world.

---

Despite his growing disillusionment with Scientology, Haggis raised a significant amount of money for it, and made sizeable donations himself. The Church of Scientology had recently gained tax-exempt status as a religious institution, making donations, as well as the cost of auditing, tax-deductible. (Church members had lodged more than 2,000 lawsuits against the Internal Revenue Service, ensnaring the agency in litigation. As part of the settlement, the church agreed to drop its legal campaign.)

Over the years, Haggis estimates, he spent more than $100,000 on courses and auditing, and $300,000 on various Scientology initiatives. Rennard says she spent about $150,000 on coursework. Haggis recalls that the demands for donations never seemed to stop. "They used friends and any kind of pressure they could apply," he says. "I gave them money just to keep them from calling and hounding me."

Proposition 8 passed in November 2008. A few days after sending his resignation letter to Tommy Davis in February 2009, Haggis came home from work to find nine or 10 of his Scientology friends standing in his front yard...

Source: http://www.guardian....lawrence-wright

#10 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

At the temple of James Arthur Ray

James Arthur Ray was on track to become the first new-age billionaire, thanks to his self-help teaching and promises of personal transformations. So how did three people end up dead on his watch in the Arizona desert? Christopher Goodwin reports

http://www.guardian....t-lodge-arizona

"Ray dropped out of junior college, joining AT&T, the phone company, as a telemarketer, then as a sales manager teaching sales techniques. Ray said he began searching for more, reading about quantum physics, studying with a Peruvian shaman, with Amazonian witch doctors and a Hawaiian kahuna, travelling to the Egyptian pyramids. Finally, he said, he fell into a deep depression and wandered in the Sinai desert for 10 days, finding himself in the cave where Moses is said to have rested before receiving the Ten Commandments."

"When Beverley Bunn arrived at Angel Valley for the Spiritual Warrior retreat, she was relieved to find she had a fellow traveller in Kirby Brown. But, as she signed in, Bunn was troubled to be greeted by a member of Ray's so-called "Dream Team" of helpers, who held a pair of scissors. As a way of showing their commitment to transformation, Ray wanted each "Warrior" to shave off their hair. Bunn initially balked at this, as did some others, including Brown, who had always been proud of her long, brown hair.

The 56 people on the retreat spent the first two days listening to lectures by Ray. Ray made them watch clips from The Last Samurai, the Tom Cruise movie about an American who has to embrace the Samurai culture in Japan. On the third day, Ray made everyone play what he called the Samurai Game.

"James played God," Bunn says. "He had on a white robe with a gold belt. You couldn't talk to God. If you talked to God, he killed you."

One of those who tried "talking to God" was Brown, who asked if she could use the toilet. Ray screamed, "Die! Die!" at her until she fell to the ground, not allowed to move for hours. She was so desperate to urinate, she later said, that she had to hold back vomit."

"The way we were treated was really bizarre," she says. "After paying $10,000, we were told, 'You can't talk to James unless you are told you can. He doesn't eat with you. If he drives by in the golf cart, you're not allowed to wave at him or acknowledge him or say hi.'"

Ray then gathered them all together to talk about the last event, a sweat lodge, based on another Native American ceremony that he said he had studied. A traditional sweat lodge is a small, tented area, which, like a sauna, is taken to a high humid heat as water is poured over hot stones. During a lodge, usually with six to 10 people, a Native American shaman will lead the participants, chanting and helping people deal with the altered states they may go through.

"It will be the most intense experience, the most intense heat that you've ever experienced in your entire life, I guarantee that," Ray told them. "You will feel as if you're going to die. But you see the true spiritual warrior has conquered death and therefore has no fear and no enemies in this lifetime or the next, because the greatest fear that you'll ever experience is the fear of what… death. You will have to get to a point where you surrender and it's OK to die."

Some 56 people were crowded into the sweat lodge, which was less than 5ft high in the middle and just 30 inches at the sides, and about 24ft across, with only one exit. It was completely dark. Ray started chanting and pouring water on to the red hot rocks that were brought into a pit in front of him...

"People started vomiting," Bunn says. She saw an unconscious woman being dragged out. "Then James Shore, who had helped pull the woman out, came back to his place, next to Kirby, and shouted, 'She's not breathing! I can't get her to move!' Everyone was yelling.

"James went really ballistic and shouted, 'Everybody quiet down! I'm in charge here! The door is now closed and this round has now begun and we will deal with that at the end of the next round.'" Ray continued the ceremony for the full eight rounds, continuing to admonish people not to leave.

At the end of the eighth round, after some two hours, it was obvious that Ray's transformational sweat lodge had become a tragedy. A number of people were unconscious inside, others were being dragged out, vomiting and foaming at the mouth.

"I saw this other lady and she was on her side passed out. No one was with her and her arm was turning blue. I started helping her, and I rolled her over and her eyes were rolled back in her head, but she was breathing. Then I walked to the next person and he was unconscious. I rolled him over and he was breathing, but he opened his eyes and all the blood vessels had burst in his eyeballs. Another man was yelling, 'I've had a heart attack! I've had a heart attack!'

"A woman was screaming, 'James Ray! I want to F*ck James Ray! James, why did this happen? James, I love you! I want to F*ck you!' She was going crazy. People were holding her arms and legs.

"I started looking for Kirby, but I couldn't find her anywhere," Bunn continues. "I looked in the tent and I could see they were doing CPR on James Shore. His stomach was going up and down, up and down. Then I saw Kirby's stomach going up and down. They were doing CPR on her, right next to James." Both were foaming at the mouth and had turned purple.

"Ray was standing about 10ft from where they were doing CPR on Kirby and James," Bunn says. "I looked to see if there was any expression on his face, any kind of emotion, but he just stood there the entire time. He never helped anybody. He never did anything. He just stood there."
Ambulances and paramedics arrived. "One of them asked, 'What happened here?'" Bunn recalls. "We said it was a sweat lodge and she said, 'You people are fucking idiots.' That's exactly what she said. Shortly after that, the helicopters started flying in."

Nineteen people were taken to hospital suffering from heat exhaustion, some with kidney failure. Kirby Brown and James Shore, a 40-year-old father of three who worked for an internet company, died that day. Liz Neuman, 49, a divorced mother of three, was in a coma for more than a week before she died. Autopsies attributed the deaths to heat stroke and organ failure.

As the authorities and others started looking more closely at Ray, it became evident that a lot of his claims were untrue. People with whom he said he had studied and worked insisted he had lied about it. The Peruvian shaman with whom he claimed to have studied turned out to be a tour guide. Even his claims of childhood poverty were undermined by people who grew up with him. Ray was also denounced by Native Americans for abusing their rites and traditions. Some years before the 2009 tragedy, Ray had been "approached several times by native leaders and told he was not trained to run Native American ceremonies", said David Sitting Bear, a Cherokee Indian who lives in Sedona.

Why? I just don't get it. Why would any sane person pay thousands of pounds to follow such an obvious fraud and put themselves through life threatening situations this?

#11 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

Voodoo priest jailed for drug drink
Friday 2nd September 2011

A British shaman and self-proclaimed voodoo priest has been jailed for 15 months for using a sacred drink containing a class A drug at a healing ceremony.

Peter Aziz, 51, made two brews of Ayahuasca with the leaf of the Chakruna plant - which contains the banned drug N-dimethyltriptamene or DMT - which were used during the ceremony in a disused hotel.

The brew, used to bring on hallucinations and which often makes those who drink it vomit, was given to 17 people during a candle-lit ceremony on the week-long religious retreat in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset.

Aziz, of Buckfastleigh, Devon, denied two counts of producing a class A drug and two counts of supplying a class A drug but a jury found him guilty of all charges after just two-and-a-half hours' deliberation on August 8 following a trial at Bristol Crown Court.

Sentencing, Judge Michael Roach said he reduced the sentence after hearing that Aziz had "wholeheartedly done a lot of good for a lot of people".

"You knew it was wrong to produce this drug and you knew it was wrong to supply it. But produce and supply it you did," said Judge Roach.

"It is a class A drug and I have to take into account that is the most serious form of drugs.

"I bear in mind that from what I have read that it seems ... that you have served to provide assistance to others. But that said there is no doubt in my mind that I have to treat this matter as serious, which means they require a prison sentence."

Aziz gave a small wave to his shocked family in the public gallery as he was led away.

Source: http://www.gazettese...for_drug_drink/

#12 Diasporan Dawta

Diasporan Dawta

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Our people, critical thinking, creativity, the connection between the past, the present and the future... reading, social enterprise

• Cultural Heritage:
    X

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I am glad that this topic has come up and that potential sources for help have been posted as well.

This is a major problem.

Just as many pimp in the name of Christianity, so many are pimping in the name of ATR. I believe that in the Diaspora the latter is even worse than the former, because in this case, the "mis-LEADERS" are very much aware of a people's deep longing to reconnect, to belong, to go home. However, my people, let me tell you is not every boat that you see labeled "Home" that will get us there.

I, too, have seen time and time again so many brothers and sisters who have been so messed up by getting in these groups or people who claim to be of some particular order, some particular priesthood or something. I have seen the people change negatively. I have seen their "godmothers" totally pimp them out and control them.I have seen brothers and sisters start out being so excited about their new sense of belonging to a "family" only to see their "godmother" turn on them when they weren't giving enough of whatever was being asked for "by the deities" . I have seen fear totally rule these brothers and sisters. I have seen their "godsisters" or "brothers" turn their backs on them in the midst of their agony. I have seen all kinds of madness being done in the name of "the deities" just as one looks around and can see all kinds of madness being done in the name of "Jesus".

I have seen some of the most diabolical things done to brothers and sisters who simply went into a situation looking for love, a sense of belonging/family, and direction on how to grow in their African selves. I have seen a sister who was lucky enough to be able to get her stomach pumped who couldn't say much more than, "They put something in my drink. They gave me something, it wasn't right. They gave me something, they gave me something." I have seen a sister soooooo paranoid about everything and everyone including those who loved her and meant her only good things. I have seen this sister go from being a successful business owner and leader to a patient on the psych ward pacing back and forth in between crying spells and hellish experiences that no other person in there except her could see. Three nervous breakdowns this particular sister had. Three. In her 30's, a mother of three and all within a matter of months three nervous breakdowns. I have witnessed another sister being so hysterical, calling me at work crying uncontrollably, telling me that her "godmother" said that if she didn't do such and such, the "deity that was over her head" was going to take her children away from her. What kind of foolishness is that? That's not love. That is exploitation, fear, and pure wickedness.

What a person puts his or her belief in controls him/her. You can't tell a person in those situations mentioned that it is not the deity over his head but them corrupt azz people over his/her head in a state like this, at least not this bluntly most of the time, because they are in a very fragile state and you might actually add more confusion to a whole heap of confusion and those in this situation do not need any more confusion. I never will forget a sister first telling me about this group of sisters and their cultural business (very rare thing here). She kept going and she kept telling me about her experiences. She was so excited. She said that they were a part of a spiritual society and that she wanted to get initiated. I didn't impose my advice, I was asked. I saw her heading toward this situation like one in a car with worn out brakes headed toward a train. She proceeded anyway.

As she was going through her 'initiation', she was so excited. She told of how she was starting to feel more and more powerful, how she was now reconnecting with the ancestors. I had never been to the cultural business that she kept telling me about, so one day I went just to check it out. I actually met the "leader" or the society and some members of her entourage. The vibes felt very funky, even through all the white that they wore, even through all their smiles and greetings in a different language, even through fragrant essential oils that lingered all around them. The vibes felt funky. Out of sisterly concern, I later told the sister who was being initiated about the impressions that I had. She got deeper into this group and one day, she introduced me to one of her "godsisters" who was supposedly high up in the society.

This sister who had completed her initiation was excited at first. It didn't take all that long for her excitement to turn into fear. Before she could get even deeper into it, I straight up told her that that woman that she was calling her "godmother" was a spiritually corrupt pimp, exploiting sisters and brothers in the name of African Traditional Spirituality. After that, the sister did not talk to me for a while. The next time I talked to her is when she called me bawlin about "Godmother's" warning about something bad happening to her children if she did not do such and such. It was at that time that she told me that she had been instructed by her godmother to not speak to me again.She got out for a little while, but then she wenr right back. I happened to bump into the other sister some months after, the one who was "high up" in the society. Looking at her was like looking at someone whose body was here but whose spirit and mind were in a totally different sphere of reality. The sister was clearly frightened out of her mind and she was actually downtown in the midst of the people walking about, but she was in a whole different dimension. It was terrible to see.

I could go on about brothers in a different "society" or even more about sisters in that same society that I have been talking about or brothers and sisters about other societies where the f'ry has been the same. It is my observation also that many sisters who get caught up in these things here have history of abuse (a lot of times this includes sexual abuse) and neglect. The hole that has been left is often filled with stuff that is toxic, but sometimes it seems that something there, even if it is toxic, is preferred to the hole's unignorable emptiness.

. I'm definitely not knocking those individuals and groups who have not come to exploit the people. I realize that not all individuals and groups are guilty of the negative things mentioned in the posts that have been made in this thread. However, the issue of "cults" (and I hope that it is known what I mean in this instance) has to be seen for what it is and dealt with because it is a very real problem. We have to be very careful about what we give power to, about what we allow to have power in and over our minds. I think we have to continue to bring this issue to light and to offer help or resources to direct our people to help

Voodoo priest jailed for drug drink
Friday 2nd September 2011

A British shaman and self-proclaimed voodoo priest has been jailed for 15 months for using a sacred drink containing a class A drug at a healing ceremony.

Peter Aziz, 51, made two brews of Ayahuasca with the leaf of the Chakruna plant - which contains the banned drug N-dimethyltriptamene or DMT - which were used during the ceremony in a disused hotel.

The brew, used to bring on hallucinations and which often makes those who drink it vomit, was given to 17 people during a candle-lit ceremony on the week-long religious retreat in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset.

Aziz, of Buckfastleigh, Devon, denied two counts of producing a class A drug and two counts of supplying a class A drug but a jury found him guilty of all charges after just two-and-a-half hours' deliberation on August 8 following a trial at Bristol Crown Court.

Sentencing, Judge Michael Roach said he reduced the sentence after hearing that Aziz had "wholeheartedly done a lot of good for a lot of people".

"You knew it was wrong to produce this drug and you knew it was wrong to supply it. But produce and supply it you did," said Judge Roach.

"It is a class A drug and I have to take into account that is the most serious form of drugs.

"I bear in mind that from what I have read that it seems ... that you have served to provide assistance to others. But that said there is no doubt in my mind that I have to treat this matter as serious, which means they require a prison sentence."

Aziz gave a small wave to his shocked family in the public gallery as he was led away.

Source: http://www.gazettese...for_drug_drink/

I wonder what the source of his family's shock. Was it shock at the notion that Aziz could actually do such a thing? Was it shock that he was going to have to go to jail? Perhaps it was shock that his powers couldn't save him from being sentenced for drugging his people.

#13 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

@ Diasporan Dawta

Give thanks for sharing what you did.

Many people like to keep quiet over this type of abuse that occurs in our community but I think it is important that we speak out on this in order to at least better inform or warn those who are about to begin a 'spiritual' journey with Africans who are skilled at preying on our vulnerabilities.

As she was going through her 'initiation', she was so excited. She told of how she was starting to feel more and more powerful, how she was now reconnecting with the ancestors. I had never been to the cultural business that she kept telling me about, so one day I went just to check it out. I actually met the "leader" or the society and some members of her entourage. The vibes felt very funky, even through all the white that they wore, even through all their smiles and greetings in a different language, even through fragrant essential oils that lingered all around them. The vibes felt funky. Out of sisterly concern, I later told the sister who was being initiated about the impressions that I had. She got deeper into this group and one day, she introduced me to one of her "godsisters" who was supposedly high up in the society.

This sister who had completed her initiation was excited at first. It didn't take all that long for her excitement to turn into fear. Before she could get even deeper into it, I straight up told her that that woman that she was calling her "godmother" was a spiritually corrupt pimp, exploiting sisters and brothers in the name of African Traditional Spirituality. After that, the sister did not talk to me for a while. The next time I talked to her is when she called me bawlin about "Godmother's" warning about something bad happening to her children if she did not do such and such. It was at that time that she told me that she had been instructed by her godmother to not speak to me again.She got out for a little while, but then she wenr right back. I happened to bump into the other sister some months after, the one who was "high up" in the society. Looking at her was like looking at someone whose body was here but whose spirit and mind were in a totally different sphere of reality. The sister was clearly frightened out of her mind and she was actually downtown in the midst of the people walking about, but she was in a whole different dimension. It was terrible to see.

The situation you explained above is very familiar to me. Like you, I kind of detected some funkyness, and as with your friend, I (and other members of family) was 'revealed' to them as being an evil, corrupting man possessed by devil spirits and not to be spoken to and/or left alone with at any costs. It was terrible to see, more so because of the zombie effect. Other than massive weight loss (likely from excessive vomiting after ingesting 'spiritual' brews) the person looked.. well normal but spiritually vacant. Everything was about the 'godmother' messiah. Scarier still, many people I though I could trust turned on me and followed or supported the cult dismissing and in many instances attacking my years of work, my reputation simply on the zombies say so. We never really know who is truly our people until our backs are against the wall.

Its ironic you should post this because a few days ago one of the cult members met me at an event and apologised for the 'craziness' that took place. I really appreciated that for he had contributed to making my and my families life hell. I hope your friend finds the strength and answers within needed to escape her toxic imprisonment. When she returns she will probably need someone with your cool, calm, honest demeanour more than anything.

Any way let me leave this here.

I hope this does not suggest that I believe that all African centred spiritual circles are corrupting cults as that is definitely NOT the case.

#14 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

More madness:

Shots fired as police swoop 10 minutes before 100 followers of Brazilian doomsday cult were due to commit mass suicide over end of the world (click for more)

#15 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

Shohfah-El Israel (formerly known as Ajibola Shogbamimu), 40, of Fordwych Road, Cricklewood, north-west London, is charged with the murder of 20-year old Joy Morgan and is currrently expected to stand trial at St Albans Crown Court on 8 July 2019.

#16 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:14 AM

Shohfah-El Israel (formerly known as Ajibola Shogbamimu), 40, of Fordwych Road, Cricklewood, north-west London, is charged with the murder of 20-year old Joy Morgan and is currrently expected to stand trial at St Albans Crown Court on 8 July 2019.

#17 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:46 PM

D6cblRhWAAIGuFC.jpg

#18 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:32 AM

Joy Morgan murder trial: Court told Cricklewood man accused of murdering missing student 'treated her like a daughter'

Student midwife says church is 'best family' in video shown to court

Joy Morgan: Student missing from Ilford told man on trial for murder she wanted to leave their church

Joy Morgan murder trial: Jury consider verdict after Cricklewood man denies he had sex with missing student

#19 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:03 AM

Married churchgoer, 40, is jailed for life for murdering midwifery student, 20, whose body has never been found after she disappeared following a Boxing Day service

Joy Morgan: Mother's plea to Cricklewood killer Shohfah-El Israel to reveal location of her daughter's body

15824470-7228439-image-a-57_156268330177

16918650-7323199-image-m-2_1565025926518

Ajibola Shogbamimu, also known as "Shohfah-El Israel":  

"Only you know the circumstances of your terrible deed and why you did it.

"You are evidently an intelligent man and have said nothing beyond the lies and the explanations which the jury has rejected." -  Judge Michael Soole

#20 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:34 AM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users