47 replies to this topic

#41 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3819 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

... What would you need to feel safe/ready to return home?

This may assist you:

Outspoken child becomes victim of gunman's bullet (click for more)

#42 yorubagirl

yorubagirl

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Establishing a business enterprise in Dominica. Reading, writing, daydreaming and living a stress free life with my darling husband.
    :)

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

So much negativity and derailment in this thread.

I find it so ironic, that we have 'armchair revolutionaries' talking 'the talk', but are scared and furthermore,  use scaremongering tactics to even think of 'closing the circle'.

There are murders everywhere in the world. One is NOT immune to it.

I have 'returned home'. Although my family are from Nigeria, I returned 'home' to the Caribbean - specifically, the Nature Island, aka The Commonwealth of Dominica, with my husband, who is from here. We have our own business, our own land, where fruit trees such as guava, mango, soursop grow to our hearts content; where we grow our own organic vegetables; where we eat from the land without any fear. We own our own house. We have complete autonomy of ourselves. We owe no money to anyone. No mortgage. We are helping our local community by building a small internet cafe. We are putting in what we were able to get out when we lived in europe.

Challenging? Hell yes. But I would not change it for the world. I am surrounded by folk who resemble me. What do I have to fear?

Check my blog: http://myspiritrevivedindominica.com It gives the reader my own perspective of relocating 'home'.

Instead of playing in the devils playground, we decided to get out and feel revived, alive and all together,  content and thrived, in Jah's Country.

#43 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3819 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

Meet the Late Dameion Cousins from Jamaica and his wife Jacqueline from Hornsey, North London ...

article-2465747-18D15FBB00000578-587_306

... you can read all about them here:

British woman's Jamaican wedding turns to horror after gunmen burst into reception and murder groom - over £60 debt (click for more)

#44 Black Lion

Black Lion

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

Thank you Yorobagirl, agree with your point... was just pointing out that I would not feel safe as someone who is concerned about politics etc... perhaps another island in the carib but not JA, perhaps Zimbabwe though. The people are well educated there, they're victors not victims so to speak.

#45 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
  • Interests:Pan Africanism & Human Rights
    Female Empowerment
    African Literature, Film and Arts
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

So much negativity and derailment in this thread.

I find it so ironic, that we have 'armchair revolutionaries' talking 'the talk', but are scared and furthermore,  use scaremongering tactics to even think of 'closing the circle'.

There are murders everywhere in the world. One is NOT immune to it.

I have 'returned home'. Although my family are from Nigeria, I returned 'home' to the Caribbean - specifically, the Nature Island, aka The Commonwealth of Dominica, with my husband, who is from here. We have our own business, our own land, where fruit trees such as guava, mango, soursop grow to our hearts content; where we grow our own organic vegetables; where we eat from the land without any fear. We own our own house. We have complete autonomy of ourselves. We owe no money to anyone. No mortgage. We are helping our local community by building a small internet cafe. We are putting in what we were able to get out when we lived in europe.

Challenging? Hell yes. But I would not change it for the world. I am surrounded by folk who resemble me. What do I have to fear?

Check my blog: http://myspiritrevivedindominica.com It gives the reader my own perspective of relocating 'home'.

Instead of playing in the devils playground, we decided to get out and feel revived, alive and all together,  content and thrived, in Jah's Country.

@ YorubaGirl

This is a beautiful addition to this thread. It is so good to be reminded of the positive outcomes that can and do occur when we return home.

Thank you for sharing

Meet the Late Dameion Cousins from Jamaica and his wife Jacqueline from Hornsey, North London ...

article-2465747-18D15FBB00000578-587_306

... you can read all about them here:

British woman's Jamaican wedding turns to horror after gunmen burst into reception and murder groom - over £60 debt (click for more)

A horrific story. My thoughts are with the new bride and her family.

Thank you Yorobagirl, agree with your point... was just pointing out that I would not feel safe as someone who is concerned about politics etc... perhaps another island in the carib but not JA, perhaps Zimbabwe though. The people are well educated there, they're victors not victims so to speak.

I totally understand your concern. I wish to return long term to Nigeria (amongst other places) but after a bad experience linked to my political beliefs I have hesitated in making my plans concrete...

Reasonable security is a big issue for me.

#46 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3819 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

Reasonable security is a big issue for me.

Quite right too:

"The writer and pan African human rights activist Toyin Agbetu was assaulted by Nigerian police after observing them take cash from innocent motorists alongside Ipaja Road, Egbeda, Lagos (22 January 2010). An officer assaulted the writer and film maker, later threatening and interrogating him in the back of their van. An attempt was made to kidnap Agbetu in order to ‘teach him’ a lesson after they could not find pictures of their actions on his camera ...".

Source:  Armed police attempt kidnap of Toyin Agbetu

#47 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3819 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

... Instead of playing in the devils playground, we decided to get out and feel revived, alive and all together,  content and thrived, in Jah's Country.

... that's right, so did some others ...

"THE dream of many people, especially Rastafarians, to take up an offer made more than 60 years ago by Emperor Haile Selassie I to settle on 500 acres of fertile land in Shashemene, Ethiopia has been shattered by political changes in that east-central African country ..."

Ethiopia land dream shattered (click for more)

Edited by MarcusGarveyLives, 20 November 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#48 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3819 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

...  What would you need to feel safe/ready to return home?

"The murder last Friday night of a 75-year-old returned resident in St Elizabeth (Jamaica) is believed by the police to be a contract killing ...

... grieving relatives and residents had nothing but kind words about Campbell, who reportedly returned to live in the island in the late 1990s after spending approximately 50 years working in the United States of America ..."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users