Photo

The Post Racial Debate: Should we trust the Police?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
  • Interests:Pan Africanism & Human Rights
    Female Empowerment
    African Literature, Film and Arts
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

We were led to believe that the election of an African man into the US white house had ushered in a new post racial era. The Truth proved something very different.

Post-racial America? Dream on

The anti-Obama Birther movement and the arrest of Henry Louis Gates proves America is still charged with issues of race

Henry Louis Gates, a professor at Harvard University, was recently arrested in his own home after police received a call from a neighbour reporting an attempted break-in. The police report said he was arrested for disorderly conduct but I suspect that he was arrested for acting "uppity" (translation – not being a submissive black man when confronted with a ridiculous charge).

http://www.guardian....al-america-myth

Yet even following this 'scandal'

Civil Rights and Resisting Arrest

The arrest of a New York City police officer, who was accused of violating the civil rights of an African-American man during a stop-and-frisk arrest, provides good reason for Justice Department officials and state lawmakers to investigate whether others on the force are engaging in similar practices.

Federal prosecutors on Monday charged the officer, Michael Daragjati, with violating the man’s constitutional rights by falsely accusing him of resisting arrest. The criminal complaint suggests how easily that charge can be abused.
Full Article: http://www.nytimes.c...ing-arrest.html

Ironic then that this deliberate abuse of power targeting an innocent African man alongside with the disgusting and intentional reference to the n word has occurred.

NYPD officer 'caught bragging about framing a black man'

Daragjati, who is white, allegedly arrested the man when he complained - and filed a false report saying he had resisted arrest.
Federal authorities say they later intercepted a phone call between Daragjati and a friend, when he allegedly said: ‘Another n****r fried, no big deal’.
Daragjati is charged with violating the man’s civil rights - and with extortion as well as wire fraud in incidents relating to an off-duty snowplough business..

Source: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1bJqlJEtm

Time and time again we hear its a solitary rotten apple, and then time and time again we get more revelations, more racist police officers.

Perhaps as many people have long suspected, the symbolism of Obama is a ruse, an elaborate international PR stunt.

And perhaps in removing the public spaces for overt expressions of racist sentiments the inhumane language and behaviour that accompanies it now manifests itself in these types of instances by those who feel they have the authority to vent and get away with it.

So I ask the question not can the police be trusted but should they be?

#2 Black Lion

Black Lion

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:02 AM

No.

Theres then the issue of ignorance in our communities that needs addressing, am not sure if the idea of vigilantism or civilian arrests goes down so well nowadays, rather if the idea of people power goes down so well nowadays. Am not sure whether the police are the lesser of two evils when it comes to crime in the community.

#3 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Bringing this back to the UK:

Metropolitan police race row deepens after assault claim

PC caught on tape allegedly assaulting teenager, hours after colleague was recorded making racial slur

A policeman has been captured on tape allegedly assaulting a young black teenager just hours after a colleague of his was recorded abusing another man with a serious racial slur.

PC Joe Harrington has been placed on restricted duties after he was allegedly seen kicking the 15-year-old to the ground and kneeing him, in the custody area of an east London police station. Part of the incident was recorded on CCTV.

An independent investigation into the alleged assault on the 15-year-old concluded last week and a report, understood to recommend disciplinary action, was submitted to the Metropolitan police on Monday. The force will now consider what action if any to take against Harrington.

Hours earlier, Harrington was present when another officer, PC Alex MacFarlane, was recorded on a mobile phone telling Mauro Demetrio, 21, a black man from Beckton in east London, that "the problem with you is you will always be a [n word]". Growing controversy over the two incidents, which occurred shortly after the riots last summer, have triggered urgent reviews by the Crown Prosecution Service into initial legal advice that neither officer should be charged.
The audio recording of the racist abuse caused a public outcry after it was released by the Guardian on Friday. It has unnerved senior officers at Scotland Yard, who are concerned about the fallout for the reputation of a force seeking to show it has recovered from recent controversies.

Full Article: http://www.guardian....sault-claim#box

#4 Twang

Twang

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Anyone that thinks the MET doesn't share the same ideology as the BNP are at best misguided at worst some what deluded.

#5 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

Anyone that thinks the MET doesn't share the same ideology as the BNP are at best misguided at worst some what deluded.

Considering that the revelation of the BNP list in 2008 revealed that police officers were amongst their members your comment holds major elements of Truth.

http://www.guardian....ked-list-police

#6 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3801 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

...So I ask the question not can the police be trusted but should they be?

Black woman gets top job as the Yard faces racism claims (click for more)

Posted Image

Patricia Ferguson Gallan QPM: "Born and brought up in Scotland ... Ms Gallan has always played down her background, once stating in an interview: “When it comes to being the first black woman ACC, it’s not something I think about. I just want to do a good job.”

#7 Diasporan Dawta

Diasporan Dawta

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Our people, critical thinking, creativity, the connection between the past, the present and the future... reading, social enterprise

• Cultural Heritage:
    X

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

No, police should not be trusted. We Africans are primarily who they have are here to police. It is their duty "serve and protect" a system that has always been brutal to us. Trustworthiness breeds trust and respectability breeds respect. They have bred neither. We are occupied by police. Go to a school where mostly our children are and see if they are excited about a policeman coming for career day. Even most of our children, by a very young age, intuit that policeman are not there to keep "them" safe. Many, even at a young age, have witnessed enough beatings and harassment to know that policemen are no "friends of their communities". On the other hand, go across the tracks where the children are ecstatic about a policeman coming for career day; by a very young age, they know that the policeman are there to protect them. Policemen are "their friends".

About the post-racial society, it's quite ironic how some say that the election of Barrack Obama ushered in this era when this country has never not been engaged in civil war; the flack from Obama's being elected has actually made "the race problem" much more obvious. The post-racial lie is just one of many popular lies that are "now trending" in the minds and the propaganda mills of this country.

#8 Black National Party BNP

Black National Party BNP

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:The neutralisation of the power of White Supremacy.
    PLEASE CALL

RACIAL JUSTICE HOTLINE

07747 363 124

ALL CALLERS MUST STATE THEIR FULL NAME AND GIVE THEIR RACE AND ETHNICITY CODES.

• Cultural Heritage:
    Black european IC3. B9. BEUR.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Skillfully use the Black and non-white Police against the White Supremacist Racist Police. :boxing:

". . . . . another training program designed to teach you one thing"

Posted Image

"If you are not one of us, you are one of them"

Edited by Black National Party BNP, 18 May 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#9 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

No, police should not be trusted. We Africans are primarily who they have are here to police. It is their duty "serve and protect" a system that has always been brutal to us.

I wish more of our people understood this. The police are agents of the state. In fact they are normally the first and often the only physical contact most people have with the state. The system that instructs them is the same system that exploits Africans and any one that challenges the safety of the political elite.

Even most of our children, by a very young age, intuit that policeman are not there to keep "them" safe. Many, even at a young age, have witnessed enough beatings and harassment to know that policemen are no "friends of their communities". On the other hand, go across the tracks where the children are ecstatic about a policeman coming for career day; by a very young age, they know that the policeman are there to protect them. Policemen are "their friends".

The funny thing is that most of us want the police but only if they do they can job without abusing their power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j9DOD_XSQQU
All-white jury acquits Andrew Blomberg, white policeman charged in videotaped beating of black teen

Justice and integrity, Is that so much to ask?

#10 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3801 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Sister of murdered schoolboy Anthony Walker begins her new life – as a police officer (click for more)

Posted Image

"I want to be Britain's first black woman chief constable. I know it's a big ambition but I believe in aiming high and I really want to try to do it"

#11 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3801 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

"Cops have searched me so often I carry a copy of my own DVD"

Bafta-winning actor Adam Deacon investigates racism in the police (click for more)

Can We Trust The Police? airs on BBC3 on June 25 at 9pm.

#12 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

Oh, and as a reminder that our family in the good ole U.S of A aren't getting any love. Meet one now ex cop, Michael Daragjati. This law enforcement officer felt it cool to boast about frying Africans (but using the n word) and then go into a court with an African judge and explain to him that the n word is ok to use when describing naughty Africans.

Racist cop sentenced to 57 months in prison for using slurs during false arrest and beating another victim

Disgraced cop Michael Daragjati, of Staten Island, tried to win points from Judge William Kuntz by criticizing the NYPD's stop-and-frisk tactics. ‘These people should hate me and rightfully so,’ Daragjati told the judge.

AN OUTRAGED judge slammed a racist NYPD cop with 57 months in prison for falsely arresting a black man and participating in an off-duty beating of another victim.
Michael Daragjati destroyed his police career by getting caught on an FBI wiretap spewing racial slurs and boasting how he had “fried another n-----.”
But when Daragjati called his fabrication of criminal charges against the victim a mere “bad judgment call,” Brooklyn Federal Judge William Kuntz decided he had heard enough.
“Today is also your earthly judgment day,” Kuntz boomed Friday in a courtroom packed with Daragjati’s family and supporters.
The judge — who is black and a longtime member of the Civilian Complaint Review Board before he was appointed to the bench last year — took serious issue with Daragjati’s tortured assertions that using the N-word was not racist, but rather a term of derision for people who disrespect the law.
“My goodness sir, you just made the worst possible argument a policeman could make,” Kuntz said.
Kuntz cited the film “Training Day,” in which actor Denzel Washington casually calls his white partner played by Ethan Hawk “my n-----,” as an example of a sick culture that threatens the rule of law.
Kuntz also threw Daragjati’s claims of heroism back in his face.
“You knew how to act as a real police officer,” Kuntz said. “You embraced the anti-cop way, the criminal way.”
Daragjati pleaded guilty to violating the civil rights of Kenrick Gray by fabricating resisting arrest charges because Gray had mouthed off about a rough treatment during a stop-and-frisk last year.
During Friday’s hearing, Daragjati attempted to curry favor by claiming that his time in jail so far has been a learning experience. “People don’t like the cops,” he said. “This stop and frisk nonsense goes on. ...I just spent eight months in prison with 120 males and I’ve heard their stories. These people should hate me and rightfully so. I’ve opened my eyes to things I’ve never seen before.”
Daragjati also apologized to Gray, who was sitting in the courtroom. But he expressed no remorse toward the other man, who he beat over snow plow theft accusations in the vigilante attack.
Defense lawyer Ronald Fischetti said eight cops wrote letters to the judge on behalf of Daragjati and now may face discipline from the Internal Affairs Bureau.
Daragjati has a history of racism: Previously Daragjati had been the subject of three civil rights lawsuits and a CCRB complaint, in which a black man alleged the cop told him to “shut your n----- mouth.”
Daragjati will serve 48 months for the extortion and nine months after that for the civil rights violation. Kuntz declined to recommend to the U.S. Bureau of Prisons that Daragjati be sent to a facility within 100 miles of his home in Staten Island.

Source: http://www.nydailyne...1#ixzz1yqe0lfVO

Strange how police recruitment standards when it comes to employing and retaining racists (covert and otherwise) are never criticised.

#13 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

Revealed: the scale of sexual abuse by police officers

Exclusive: Guardian investigation finds sexual predators in police are abusing their power to target victims of crime

by Sandra Laville, Friday 29 June 2012

Sexual predators in the police are abusing their power to target victims of crime they are supposed to be helping, as well as fellow officers and female staff, the Guardian can reveal.
An investigation into the scale and extent of the problem suggests sexual misconduct could be more widespread than previously believed.
The situation raises questions about the efficacy of the police complaints system, the police's internal whistleblowing procedures, the vetting of officers and a failure to monitor disciplinary offences.
Police officers have been convicted or disciplined for a range of offences from rape and sexual assault to misconduct in public office relating to inappropriate sexual behaviour with vulnerable women they have met on duty. Others are awaiting trial for alleged offences, though many are never charged with a criminal offence and are dealt with via internal disciplinary procedures.
The problem is to a large extent hidden, as no official statistics are kept and few details are released about internal disciplinary action in such cases.

Source: http://www.guardian....se-power-police

#14 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

Posted Image
Thug in uniform: The accepted face of British policing.

Details of PC Simon Harwood's disciplinary history, disclosed at pre-inquest hearings and pre-trial hearings, include allegations that he punched, throttled, kneed, threatened and unlawfully arrested people. They show he avoided likely disciplinary proceedings by the Metropolitan police over an alleged road rage incident by resigning owing to ill health. He later joined another force before moving back to the Met.

http://www.guardian....ary-proceedings

The calibre of officers belonging to the Metropolitan Police Force
(Thugs, get your CV's ready)

#15 Twang

Twang

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

Sister of murdered schoolboy Anthony Walker begins her new life – as a police officer (click for more)

Posted Image

"I want to be Britain's first black woman chief constable. I know it's a big ambition but I believe in aiming high and I really want to try to do it"

In all seriousness we need more Africans in the police force dedicated spooks...

The calibre of officers belonging to the Metropolitan Police Force
(Thugs, get your CV's ready)

Wouldn't one need to have a european supremacist mentality in the first place in order to serve protect and uphold european supremacist laws ?

Edited by Twang, 23 July 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#16 Black National Party BNP

Black National Party BNP

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:The neutralisation of the power of White Supremacy.
    PLEASE CALL

RACIAL JUSTICE HOTLINE

07747 363 124

ALL CALLERS MUST STATE THEIR FULL NAME AND GIVE THEIR RACE AND ETHNICITY CODES.

• Cultural Heritage:
    Black european IC3. B9. BEUR.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

Wouldn't one need to have a european supremacist mentality in the first place in order to serve protect and uphold european supremacist laws ?

Not necessarily.

http://www.ligali.or...774

#17 Twang

Twang

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Not necessarily.

http://www.ligali.or...774

Yeah but on the whole check the percentage of African to Non African that chose to serve and protect...

#18 The Freelance Scientist

The Freelance Scientist

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2358 posts
  • Interests:Education, Politics, Current Affairs, Dialogue with the community and others.

I like going to the gym, playing football and travelling the world. I'm at university at the moment.

• Cultural Heritage:
    Mandinka

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

We can never trust the police. I've been saying this for the longest time.

Not exactly. One can have a slavish, brain-washed, Stockholm Syndrome mentality to protect such supremacist laws.
[i]The Freelance Scientist: He Is The Eternal Student.

#19 Twang

Twang

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

We can never trust the police. I've been saying this for the longest time.

Not exactly. One can have a slavish, brain-washed, Stockholm Syndrome mentality to protect such supremacist laws.

Forget the ifs and buts I'm talking about the average speng that usually applies to serve and protect queen and country not your Manchurian candidate although I'm under no illusions that such individuals do exist...

#20 The Freelance Scientist

The Freelance Scientist

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2358 posts
  • Interests:Education, Politics, Current Affairs, Dialogue with the community and others.

I like going to the gym, playing football and travelling the world. I'm at university at the moment.

• Cultural Heritage:
    Mandinka

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Forget the ifs and buts I'm talking about the average speng that usually applies to serve and protect queen and country not your Manchurian candidate although I'm under no illusions that such individuals do exist...

The average speng is just as dangerous as a Manchurian Candidate in so far as his/her mind and heart has been indoctrinated by this country's educational system to believe in this system and therefore would have no qualms in acting in protecting, supporting and dying for this supremacist system that has disfranchised them for centuries. In actuality, they are the same. You would have to seriously brain-washed to wear the police uniform and swear allegiance to the Queen. Or worse, join the army, fight in its neo-colonial wars and die for this system.
[i]The Freelance Scientist: He Is The Eternal Student.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users