Female Empowerment
    African Literature, Film and Arts
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

It may be worth noting the composition of the alleged 'Independent' Advisory Panel (IAP) on Deaths in Custody. The level of representation for those who are disproportionately affected by this problem is astounding. All we need is a minister without portfolio to oversee it and im sure justice and the interests of the people will be served.

http://iapdeathsincu.../panel-members/

Oh hold on... these are criminals (oh and lets ignore the fact that some are innocent suspects) and according to senior government ministers dont deserve human rights.

I mean everyone knows that all criminals are scum (excluding those poor parliamentarians who were hounded by the public for being confused by a complex expenses system).

#42 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

Police involved in the fatal arrest of Smiley Culture will not face any charges (click for more)

Posted Image

Now there's a surprise!

Edited by MarcusGarveyLives, 03 September 2011 - 11:50 AM.

#43 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image

Update, anyone?

#44 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
  • Interests:Pan Africanism & Human Rights
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

Update: The so called Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has closed its investigation into the murder of Smiley culture. In its conclusion it has repeated its opening arguments that no evidence has been found that could lead to criminal or misconduct proceedings against the four officers involved. It has consistently maintained this position for several months even before the release of today's "conclusion".

http://www.ipcc.gov....leyculture.aspx

Posted Image

Our brother, IPCC Commissioner Mike Franklin who announced his decision today is said to have been involved in the production of a report with possible lessons to be learned by the Met force.

The media misdirection campaign continues as it is reported;

The completed IPCC report has been sent to the coroner. The inquest will not take place until the conclusion of two trials to which Mr Emmanuel was allegedly linked. These are due to be heard early next year.

Source: http://www.thisislon...face-charges.do

Meanwhile, many continue to profit from the tragedy by exploiting the rights of all those involved in the campaign for justice
(see: http://www.itnsource...041115/?v=0&a=1)

So what to do?

1. I would suggest all those present in the footage contacting ITN and withdraw their consent for their images to be used
2. Pick a day, and then Occupy IPCC (use same numbers of protesters on march)
3. Call Franklin to a public meeting (WITHOUT the presence of political opportunists), make sure it is broadcast live on our community radio and make him account to us how he came to the decision not to even refer the case to the CPS. Ask one of our academics to produce a community report for our archives.
4. Use all means necessary to locate and identity the officers involved. Go to the Police station where arresting officers were based if necessary.
5. Determine likely outcome of pending cases, be truthful with community in ADVANCE of any judgment (so we don't have any nasty surprises) and then met with other families that have lost loved ones in custody in order to co-ordinate a permanent SINGLE campaign to bring this issue to parliament (Ligali would help with this)

#45 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

Largely unreported by the "African media", Croydon Crown Court has recently heard allegations about the issues that led to the Metropolitan Police visiting the mansion in Hillbury Road, Warlingham, owned by Smiley Culture / David Emmanuel on 15 March 2011:

Reggae star paid for drug mules' travel, court hears

Reggae star was centre of drug operation, court hears

Pair connected to Smiley Culture drugs racket found guilty

Also:

Drugs case linked to Smiley Culture stopped

Posted Image

"Find me another bandwagon to climb on ... quick!"

#46 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

@ MarcusGarveyLives

It may be ugly and disappointing news but thank you for sharing.

Whilst I believe the issue of African deaths in custody is a serious problem issue that needs resolving, I also have strong views on the crimes reported in the published allegations, which if true, expose a ruthless attitude towards poisoning our community which in turn feeds youth violence and armed criminality.

I only hope we have the integrity to accept Truth whichever way the cards fall and stay attached to the wider issue of custody deaths irrespective of any negative media pressure asserting one issue having a priority over the other.

Deaths in custody affects us all, contrary to popular belief anyone can become a suspect, especially if you are an innocent African with a healthy distrust of state authority.

Unless the police are held accountable for their actions that lead to the harassment, harm or fatal killing of African 'suspects' then this fragrant state abuse of human rights will continue.

I await the revelations of the retrial set for 23 July 2012.

#47 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Give thanks to everyone who attended in support of the families and friends of those who lost their lives in custody.

With respect may I suggest, now that the feel good march is out of the way perhaps the laborious but essential real work needs to begin?

Posted Image

On the first anniversary of the yet to be satisfactorily explained killing of David Victor Emmanuel / Smiley Culture in his own home, it all seems to have gone very quiet.

#48 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

His own family remembered him ...

Smiley Culture remembered one year on: Family to set up centre to help other grieving families

#49 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

@ MarcusGarveyLives

It may be ugly and disappointing news but thank you for sharing.

Anyone else care to share anything on this one?

#50 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Anyone else care to share anything on this one?

While we wait for everyone else's contributions on this subject - which so gripped the African community in spring last year - as an aside to the central issue regarding exactly how Smiley Culture / David Emmanuel was killed, it will be interesting to see if Howard Campbell and the Jamaica Observer now become the subject of any legal action:

"... Smiley Culture, who later became a drug dealer, died under controversial circumstances in March, 2011 ..."

(Source: Keeping the legacy alive, Jamaica Observer, 25 July 2012)

Posted Image

"Find me another bandwagon to climb on ... quick!"

Edited by MarcusGarveyLives, 31 July 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#51 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Does anyone know if we are any closer to establishing the Truth about exactly how or why Smiley Culture / David Emmanuel was killed?

#52 Black National Party BNP

Black National Party BNP

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:The neutralisation of the power of White Supremacy.
    PLEASE CALL

RACIAL JUSTICE HOTLINE

07747 363 124

ALL CALLERS MUST STATE THEIR FULL NAME AND GIVE THEIR RACE AND ETHNICITY CODES.

• Cultural Heritage:
    Black european IC3. B9. BEUR.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

Does anyone know if we are any closer to establishing the Truth about exactly how or why Smiley Culture / David Emmanuel was killed?

Yes.

Smiley Culture / David Emmanuel was killed by White Supremacist Racists to promote, sustain, finance and enforce White Supremacy.

Are you satisfied with that answer?

#53 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

Smiley Culture / David Emmanuel was killed by White Supremacist Racists to promote, sustain, finance and enforce White Supremacy.

The inquest has now begun:

"Smiley Culture plunged a kitchen knife into his own chest after being arrested at his home, a police officer has claimed at an inquest into the reggae star's death ..."

Reggae star Smiley Culture plunged knife into his chest after arrest, inquest told (click for more)

#54 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

"Reggae star Smiley Culture took his own life by stabbing himself in the chest during a police raid at his home, an inquest jury has decided ..."

Reggae star Smiley Culture stabbed himself during police raid (click for more)

#55 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

"Why he should have wanted to end his life in that way I do not know, but I do not think he should have been in a position to do that."
Merlin Emmanuel

As I haven't seen or heard all the evidence offered during the inquest I feel compelled to be guided by the opinion of Smiley Culture's nephew.

My instincts still scream that it is illogical for someone to plunge a knife in their own chest during an arrest as a means to kill themselves but it would seem there is insufficient evidence to prove otherwise.

I hope the verdict and inquest procedure is able to offers some form of closure for the family.

#56 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

As I haven't seen or heard all the evidence offered during the inquest I feel compelled to be guided by the opinion of Smiley Culture's nephew.

It would be interesting to know why the African media have not reported all of the actual evidence that was given at this inquest.

#57 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

It would be interesting to know why the African media have not reported all of the actual evidence that was given at this inquest.

That's a really good question.

There were all these flying accusations over our brother supplying drugs, whilst that should not impact on the specifics of this case it is sad that there has been no reporting of what was found on the premises, reports of smileys 'state of mind' on the day and prior, the notes of the officers following the death, expert testimonial on the physical manner in which a man can stab himself in the way described?

#58 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

Lest We Forget

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users