• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    antigua

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

Protest over reggae star Smiley Culture's death halts police authority meeting

A meeting of the Metropolitan Police Authority was temporarily disbanded today after more than 30 angry suppoters of reggae star Smiley Culture were thrown out.

Some of the family and friends - including former Ken Livingstone aide Lee Jasper - had heckled the MPA demanding the truth behind his death.

The singer, real name David Emmanuel, apparently stabbed himself after Met police officers arrived at his Surrey home.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission has been called in to investigate.

The IPCC Commissioner told a public meeting attended by 700 people that there was "more to this than meets the eye".

After their eviction, Merlin Emmanuel, the star's nephew, told The Standard: "We came here today because we want to get to the bottom of what happened to David.

"We're not making any undue allegations. He died in the most peculiar circumstances and what's irrefutable is that the police have a duty of care to a suspect when in their custody.

"They failed to enforce simple procedures and as a consequence my uncle is dead. We want a full public independent inquiry."

Mr Jasper, who quit as one of Mr Livingstone's closest aides after allegations over his conduct, warned that the black community was at "boiling point" over the incident.

"Everybody here needs to know that we're not simply going to wait for the long road of justice to roll on for 15 years. We had to come to fight for justice. It's right back to the 1980s," he said.

However the singer's nephew, the family's official spokesman, added: "We don't want to ethnicise this issue. Smiley was loved by black, white and everybody in between."

MPA chair Kit Malthouse called off the meeting for around ten minutes until the group was removed from the City Hall chamber.

Mr Malthouse said: "I am saddened that as a result of the deliberate and disruptive actions of a few many of those who wanted to hear today's discussion and sincere condolences missed out.

"It is frustrating to see that one or two divisive characters can ambush and exploit the anguish of friends and family for their own ends. I am pressing the IPCC to work swiftly and thoroughly on behalf of those grieving and the Black community as a whole to find the truth in this matter."

I have edited out some of the lies printed by the London Evening Standard.
Get the full lies at:

http://www.thisislon...-met-meeting.do

#22 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3810 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

... I do not wish to divert this thread from its original topic so i will leave it there.

Back to the actual subject matter of the thread. Here's the Metropolitan Police Farce's version of events:

... Cop 'saw reggae star Smiley Culture stab himself in the chest with carving knife' (click for more)

#23 cabindaleader

cabindaleader

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:06 PM

Did Smiley Culture appear before magistrates charged with conspiracy to supply cocaine September 2010?

Was the raid at his home because of his connection drug gangs?

Is there a public record of smiley culture encouraging our children to say no to drugs?

Was Smiley Culture a positive example within the African community?

Cabindaleader

#24 Twang

Twang

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lskXMUvSOuk&feature=player_embedded#at=111

I hope your not trying to imply that he got what he deserved if indeed he was killed unlawfully... justice still needs to be served.

What questions should be asked is

Why was he Allowed to enter the kitchen by himself to make a cup of tea with access to cutlery ?

How do u stab yourself in the heart so hard that it follows straight through ?

Are the officers involved still on duty ?

#25 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
  • Interests:Pan Africanism & Human Rights
    Female Empowerment
    African Literature, Film and Arts
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

@ Cabindaleader

Did Smiley Culture appear before magistrates charged with conspiracy to supply cocaine September 2010?

Was the raid at his home because of his connection drug gangs?

Is there a public record of smiley culture encouraging our children to say no to drugs?

Was Smiley Culture a positive example within the African community?

Cabindaleader

Twang's response to your post has addressed my concerns with your comments, but i would like to be more explicit.

I really welcome robust debate, I think we often lack it and the questions you posed are the type we should not be afraid to ask ourselves when we are in these types of scenarios.

Nonetheless, basic courtesy and respect for family and friends in mourning demands that there is a time and a place.

This may be one of the places but it most certainly isn't the time.

I will return to answer all these questions after the IPCC has concluded its 'investigation' and i will be brutally honest in my response.

But please, lets be clear about one thing.

The death of David 'Smiley Culture' Emmanuel appears to be unlawful. Even if it was a suicide as alleged. Anyway you look at it. Either the state agents deliberately used lethal force in a manner that was disproportionate to any threat or they failed to plan, control and organise an operation that as a result of this negligence resulted in the loss of life.

Note I am not discussing the innocence of guilt of our Bro David Emmanuel as he was a suspect.

Indeed even if he was a criminal he would still be entitled to due process.

There are a couple of barristers with the intellect and ability to deal with this, our Bro Matthew Ryder QC who is dealing with a similar situation in the Ian Tomlinson inquiry or the 'peoples lawyer' Bro Garry Green who i believe was last week delivering workshops encouraging and supporting the next generation of young Africans to venture into law.

These guys are some of our undisputed role models, alongside the many sisters who also provide legal services in their own law firms or through community work.

Before we look at your questions, the family and friends of Bro David Emmanuel deserve answers explaining why another African has died in custody. Have not "lessons been learn't"?

I do not agree with censorship so you are free to write what you like but I ask that you regulate your posts and not add to the body of negative media that is seeking to remove focus on the facts of this matter and discourage those who would naturally support us on deaths in custody issues (whilst eliciting sympathy for the officers responsible for our brothers wellbeing whilst in their custody).

Can you do that?

Please. <_<

#26 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

@ OSIRUS

Protest over reggae star Smiley Culture's death halts police authority meeting

A meeting of the Metropolitan Police Authority was temporarily disbanded today after more than 30 angry suppoters of reggae star Smiley Culture were thrown out.

Give thanks Osirus for this.

I saw a brief clip on their intervention.

It is essential that people do not get distracted by the media and take their eyes of this case.

If the IPCC is going to do what i think they are going to do, it is imperative that a counter response is prepared and ready.

#27 cabindaleader

cabindaleader

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

@ Toyin & Twang

You will appreciate my frustration. YES the circumstances surrounding David Emmanuel death Stinks to high heaven! I recall his signature song “Police Officer” where he openly admits he was engaging in unlawful activity but only got away with it because the Police officer liked his reggae lyrics!

You have suggested the community should pool our resources to pay for own investigators. You and many other contributors here possess the experience and skills required to do just that although I am aware there are African community led “deaths in Custody” campaign groups, calling upon their experience and skills accumulated after too many deaths in custody campaigns, to lead an effective response to this latest tragedy. I am aware they would welcome this site or others encouraging our people to make financial donations to enable an effective independent investigation and legal challenge.

Far too many African heritage children are killing “fe dem one another” on our streets in certain parts of London besmirching the majority who try hard to do well at school, law abiding, considerate, inquisitive ambitious for themselves and our community. The contributors here and many it would seem who attended the press conferences are “raising cane” about this death in police custody but apparently will not do the same with equal furore when some our children kill another child! This is the source of my frustration.

I wish to show due respect to David Emmanuel family
Bless
Cabindaleader

#28 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

@ cabindaleader

You will appreciate my frustration. YES the circumstances surrounding David Emmanuel death Stinks to high heaven!

And this should remain the primary focus whilst family and friends seek justice. Lets not step into the gutter with the rest of the media seeking to cloud the issue.

You have suggested the community should pool our resources to pay for own investigators. You and many other contributors here possess the experience and skills required to do just that although I am aware there are African community led “deaths in Custody” campaign groups, calling upon their experience and skills accumulated after too many deaths in custody campaigns, to lead an effective response to this latest tragedy. I am aware they would welcome this site or others encouraging our people to make financial donations to enable an effective independent investigation and legal challenge.

This is not an issue about money, it is an issue about our people being prepared to commit to challenging long term work without guaranteed financial resources or promises of political high office as payback.

Its all too easy to call for people to donate money for individual causes, but what history should have taught us is that we need a permanent pot of cash that we can rely on for all instances. That is not my fight, money does not, and never will motivate me, i am more interested in education, security, equality, liberty and justice - others who are trustworthy enough to deal with fundraising should create a trust fund to support organisations and build institutions that they believe demonstrate community worth.

Far too many African heritage children are killing “fe dem one another” on our streets in certain parts of London besmirching the majority who try hard to do well at school, law abiding, considerate, inquisitive ambitious for themselves and our community.

Again, this is a distraction. It is less than 1% of our young people involved in armed criminality causing this havoc. it may be one percent too much but the disproportionate amount of fear generated by the British media actually cultivates more fear, breeding more crime, more deaths. We need our own positive media that concentrates more on placing our achievements on the front page with pride and the minority of thuggery stories on the back in shame. Same with our radio station 'debate' shows. This needs people with vision, integrity and supporters prepared to make a sustained investment in our community wellbeing even if it means breaking unjust laws and those lawmakers who implement/enforce them.

The contributors here and many it would seem who attended the press conferences are “raising cane” about this death in police custody but apparently will not do the same with equal furore when some our children kill another child! This is the source of my frustration.

With all due respect, here you are just making silly assumptions.

The person seemingly leading the campaign is our elder Lee Jasper, perhaps you should direct your concerns and frustration at him, certainly not at Ligali or contributors here.

When the police kill us, I will not moderate my outrage to satisfy some equation of furore. My own personal experiences with the beast make me more than aware of how dangerous some of them truly are as well as thier supporting legal apparatus (ipcc, cps, judiciary).

Do not regard death as the only form of injury worthy of anger, everyone has a right to live in dignity free from harassment, torture and racist abuse from those charged to serve and protect us. When you've walked in my shoes (and i suspect that of others) you may understand...

I wish to show due respect to David Emmanuel family
Bless
Cabindaleader

If you wish to do so, then please just do so without the rhetoric.

We need more information on Detective Constable Stuart Hobkirk, the man who some in the media state claims he saw Bro David plunge the knife into his own heart. If you have any contacts or information resources put the word around that we are looking for info on his record on and off the job.

Get us a copy of the court transcript so we can put it into the public domain and scrutinise it collectively looking for inconsistencies.

In the meanwhile you can also ask your faith leaders to provide funds for a second post mortem as soon as possible, im sure the family would appreciated it.. oh and try to avoid cheapo offers from anyone name Freddy Patel. We have more than enough corrupt state agents to deal with without inviting more to the party.

http://www.croydongu...ve_tells_court/

#29 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3810 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

Metropolitan Police Authority Meeting, City Hall, London, 31 March 2011

#30 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

Smiley Culture March for Human Rights and Justice for All
Date and Time: Sat, 16/04/2011 - 12:00 - 17:00

Details

A March in Unity and for Justice for All Called by the Campaign for Justice for Smiley Culture

The family kindly request that those in attendance do not allow your emotions to compromise the objectives of the masses and give the media ammunition to discredit our campaign.

We march in peace love and unity for human rights and justice for all.

Speakers:

Merlin Emmanuel
Lee Jasper
Other speakers to be announced

Southbank Club, 124 -130 Wandsworth Road, SW8 2DL proceeding to New Scotland Yard Victoria London SW1. Please arrive promptly at 12 noon.

Contact

Facebook: Campaign for justice for Smiley Culture
Twitter: @justice4smileyc
Email: Justice4smiley@hotmail.co.uk

Source: http://www.obv.org.u...and-justice-all

Personally I believe this forthcoming march is premature and not a good idea. A classic example of inept leadership (or deliberate misdirection).

#31 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3810 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:41 PM

... Personally I believe this forthcoming march is premature and not a good idea. A classic example of inept leadership (or deliberate misdirection).

Here is footage of one individual showboating in front of gullible 'journalists' self-publicising at the expense of a dead African at Metropolitan Police Authority Meeting, City Hall, London, 31 March 2011 ...

Posted Image

Does anyone know why he did not behave like this in the eight years that he worked as Ken Livingstone's £121,360* p.a. "race" and "policing" "adviser" in exactly the same building and Africans in London were dying in police custody?

(*Source: Dispatches, Channel 4, 21 January 2008)

#32 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

Smiley protest march brings attention to deaths in custody
Over six hundred people marched across London in search of answers to the death of reggae artist David Emmanuel and other death in custody victims.

Full article available at;
http://www.ligali.or...cle.php?id=2197

Give thanks to everyone who attended in support of the families and friends of those who lost their lives in custody.

With respect may I suggest, now that the feel good march is out of the way perhaps the laborious but essential real work needs to begin?

#33 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3810 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:20 PM

... With respect may I suggest, now that the feel good march is out of the way perhaps the laborious but essential real work needs to begin?

Posted Image

You'll be lucky.

#34 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:53 PM

David Bowie in talks with Smiley Culture's family over tribute concert

David Bowie, Sade, Nas and Damian Marley are just some of the big name artists that could feature in a concert in memory of people who died in police custody. - 18th April 2011

The star acts were some of the names mentioned by Merlin Emmanuel - the nephew of popular reggae star Smiley Culture who died during a police raid - at a rally on Saturday. He told the Streatham Guardian: “We are in talks with Nas, Sade, David Bowie, Jessie J and others. I actually have a meeting tomorrow (Tuesday) to decide on the venue and date.”

Source: http://www.yourlocal...ribute_concert/

A concert? Hmmm... :huh:

#35 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3810 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

... A classic example of inept leadership (or deliberate misdirection).

... With respect may I suggest, now that the feel good march is out of the way perhaps the laborious but essential real work needs to begin?

Posted Image

The Metropolitan Police must be terrified.

Edited by MarcusGarveyLives, 23 April 2011 - 09:38 PM.

#36 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3810 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

Posted Image

The Metropolitan Police must be terrified.

#37 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3810 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

... according to an anonymous "source" speaking to Britain largest selling newspaper, we are now to believe that the deceased's last words were "You want some? I do" (click for the latest in the propaganda war)

#38 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:37 PM

A few days a ago i saw Jody McIntyre on channel 4 news invoking the names of Sean Rigg, Smiley Culture and others who have been killed in Police custody and not received justice.

Not only was i touched I was also impressed with his knowledge and bravery in the face of the injustice he is currently enduring.

Jody who is not an African was viciously assaulted by police officers who agressively pushed him out of his wheel chair at an anti fees demonstration last December.

Recently the family of Ian Tomlinson received news that the officer that killed him would be facing a criminal prosecution. This is unprecedented and only occurred after footage of the assault was captured by a bystander exposing police lies about the incident.

Meanwhile, despite similar video evidence of police barbarity against McIntyre, the IPCC passed the investigation of the police to the police who, unsurprisingly cleared the police.

I am familiar with this process as it has happened to me on several occasions after officers have maliciously assaulted, arrested and imprisoned me. My subsequent complaints with the IPCC has then either been mysteriously lost, or bent officers exonerated by investigating officers.

As we await the IPCC investigation into the death of Smiley we can expect more obfuscation from the police and media as they break the news to us. No doubt it will be a 'sincere' African sent to present the 'findings' to us as the sacrificial lamb to slaughter.

In the meantime If you want to know how they work you can read more bout Jody's case at the link below;
http://www.guardian....olice-brutality

I know it sounds silly but i simply wanted to big him up for doing something that none of our MP's and various 'black' role muddles, journalists, broadcasters and popular artists - seem capable or willing of doing - using the national media in order to remember those of us that have joined the Ancestors without justice for family, friends and community.

Thank you.

#39 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3810 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

A few days a ago i saw Jody McIntyre on channel 4 news invoking the names of Sean Rigg, Smiley Culture and others who have been killed in Police custody and not received justice.

... Jody who is not an African was viciously assaulted by police officers who agressively pushed him out of his wheel chair at an anti fees demonstration last December.

... I know it sounds silly but i simply wanted to big him up for doing something that none of our MP's and various 'black' role muddles, journalists, broadcasters and popular artists - seem capable or willing of doing - using the national media in order to remember those of us that have joined the Ancestors without justice for family, friends and community.

Thank you.

Meanwhile, a "black role muddle" uses the death of Smiley Culture as an opportunity to submit his application for an OBE ...

Why we must not rush to judgement over Smiley Culture's knife death (click for more)

Posted Image

Dr Perry Stanislas (pstanislas@dmu.ac.uk), Senior Lecturer in Policing, Community and Criminal Justice at Leicester de Montfort University (left) and The Late Smiley Culture (right)

#40 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

@ MarcusGarveyLives

Meanwhile, a "black role muddle" uses the death of Smiley Culture as an opportunity to submit his application for an OBE ...

Why we must not rush to judgement over Smiley Culture's knife death (click for more)

Posted Image

Dr Perry Stanislas (pstanislas@dmu.ac.uk), Senior Lecturer in Policing, Community and Criminal Justice at Leicester de Montfort University (left) and The Late Smiley Culture (right)

It is difficult to understand why anyone in our community would be involved in both writing and publishing the comment;

Like most people, I was very surprised to hear of Smiley Culture’s death. However, there are many things about his death that makes me uneasy. My visceral reaction at reading the news was sympathy for the police officer who used his/her discretion in not handcuffing the suspect

Whilst everyone is entitled to their own opinion, to write and publish such an article prior to the results of the ongoing IPCC whitewash 'investigation' displays renk insensitivity and an unforgivable attitude towards the feelings of family and friends of Smiley, likewise for a publication which claims to be the voice of the community to side against it in this manner for financial gain is not only shameful, but a betrayal that is morally reprehensible.

Let me boring here and remind us all that Article 2 of the european Convention on Human Rights (as incorporated by the Human Rights Act 1988) imposes a positive obligation on the state to protect life. The death of Smiley Culture whilst in police custody falls directly into this category, so whilst someone may try and argue that the loss of life was unintentional, that fact remains that on face of the limited evidence released into the public domain it appears that a state agent is responsible for the operational failings that led to the loss of life.

Either Smiley should have been handcuffed for his own safety (and that of the officers) in which case the alleged 'suicide' could not have occurred, or he was wrongly accessed as not posing a threat and erroneously allowed access to an offensive weapon during a police operation.

This is before considering any possibility of 'unfair' play.

Either way the police retain a significant level of culpability for his death and are not deserving of any 'sympathy' for their irresponsible use of 'discretion'. :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users