Female Empowerment
    African Literature, Film and Arts
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

Nyansapo - is an online community radio station hosted by the Ligali Organisation. It is designed to enable honest and progressive discussion of community issues. The Pan African Drum programme broadcasts every Tuesday from 9pm till midnight.

What are your thoughts and opinions on our new talk radio station? We are still testing the technology but once we overcome our remaining obstacles we have some exciting projects planned for the future. Remember you get the best quality if you are using the latest version of windows media player. You can download it by clicking here.

What would you like to hear on Nyansapo?

• Listen Online: www.ligali.org/nyansapo
  • Call the studio phone line; 0208 1444 708 / 0207 043 7759 (If engaged 0208 986 1984)
  • Send an email to; nyansapo@ligali.org
  • Send a text message to; 077286 99049
  • Call in for free using Skype: nyansapodrum

Revolutionary Pan Africanism Working

#2 lippy

lippy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    jamaican

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

This might be problematic but it would have to be that the most active groups/people, within the struggle, are able to put questions to others " active" in the community, so as to resolve some of our many issues.

So for example why do we not hear from those top 100 influential "leaders" published by certain Black papers? are they too academic for us to overstand?

Tabbo subjects such as ;

Child abuse
Dv
Mother/daughter/father/son relationships
Private education.
Children of mixed ancestory

#3 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1530 posts
  • Interests:Pan Africanism & Human Rights
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

@lippy

Thanks for the feedback. I will raise it on air tonight.

The head to head is a brilliant idea but i don't think any 'active' others would participate in a public questioning by me. sad.gif

Although I really want the majority of what we broadcast to be uplifting and less conflict driven, I do think your suggestion if implemented would most certainly help resolve a lot of the issues plaguing our community.

Perhaps the community needs to select who should face who.

With regards to the taboos, that is something we can do. You also missed off the other no-no topics such as same sex relations, cults and religion.

#4 lippy

lippy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    jamaican

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

Ok my brother i hear you, lol, personally i do find some upliftment from conflict resolution. it makes my spirit rise.

The head to head is a brilliant idea but i don't think any 'active' others would participate in a public questioning by me.

Are you so very frightening to some people? lol

YES a panel might be less controversial wink.gif

The subject of tabbo is tabbo but i take you point i just didn't want to list them all !

Rise up!

Ps listened via pod cast sorry i missed the live show! It was a good one, i still think we need more talk and more action and less music. Bwoy, Billy's voice and words mek mi bawl, gets me everytime .

Edited by lippy, 18 March 2009 - 02:46 PM.

#5 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1530 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

@lippy

QUOTE (lippy @ Mar 18 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok my brother i hear you, lol, personally i do find some upliftment from conflict resolution. it makes my spirit rise.

Are you so very frightening to some people? lol

YES a panel might be less controversial wink.gif

I'm hearing you on the need for conflict resolution. I don't think im frightening to anyone other than my enemies...... or am I deluding myself? laugh.gif

In my opinion conflict resolution requires a specific skill and temperment, once I'm happy we have found presenters/panel with the right spirit for the circle programme then its on.

The subject of tabbo is tabbo but i take you point i just didn't want to list them all !

The taboo idea is excellent and well needed, but I also want a balance of shows that deliberately seeks to uplift and inspire our people rather than broadcast a constant stream of negativity as we have now on our existing community stations. I will do my best to adress each and every one of those topics over the coming months, perhaps in a different format. Watch this space.

Ps listened via pod cast sorry i missed the live show! It was a good one, i still think we need more talk and more action and less music. Bwoy, Billy's voice and words mek mi bawl, gets me everytime .

Give thanks, its tragic that the majority of us don't even realise that the message in that tune "Strange Fruit" is still relevant today as it was yesteryear. I agree with the need for more action but music is also essential, songs like that are often a vehicle for us to be able to hear the voice and messages of our Ancestors across time and space.

#6 lippy

lippy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    jamaican

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

constant stream of negativity as we have now on our existing community stations

I listen to them and do not find too many negative vibes from them, maybe i am bias lol but i respect even the many egos that present themselves, because they represent a need (in me) even when the fire is raining.

By negativity do you mean the cussing of chrisendom , Afrocentric organisations/people etc,? and us as a community?

Don't you think we need that sort of "kick up the arse" ? How is it really that different from the Paster on Sunday's? Should we be objective,rational,calm and collected!

Also why do you think you have had such limited response so far to this very important question? i am very suprised at the many views but no comments.

Bless x

#7 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1530 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

I listen to them and do not find too many negative vibes from them, maybe i am bias lol but i respect even the many egos that present themselves, because they represent a need (in me) even when the fire is raining.

I must admit other than now and then, I have deliberately stopped listening to most of them. Perhaps things have got better. When I was listening, what I noticed was a cycle of conflict being promoted amongst ourselves. I don’t believe a healthy ego is necessarily a bad thing but an ego that is unwilling to learn, grow or even heal is cancerous and can infect everything it comes into contact with. If 'leaders' do not open themselves up to challenge from the very people they presume to lord it over then they should be taken down.

I don’t have a problem with the fire raining if afterwards we are rebuilding.

By negativity do you mean the cussing of chrisendom , Afrocentric organisations/people etc,? and us as a community?

In part, yes. But more specifically the repeated and often deliberate attempts to reignite an "West" African versus “West Indian” feud. Or the constant excuse of seeking an insignificant enemy within, instead of the providing the courage and leadership to tackle the beast on the front door step. We must all be open to criticism, especially that delivered with love from family, but over the past year I have witnessed people with nothing more than green eye pass fake righteousness in order to publicly pass judgment over those they feel threatened by who are working and/or sacrificing much for liberation. Radio (like books) is far too powerful a medium to be abused like that.

In fact I have more respect for the Christian or Muslim who works hard in their spare time to help their people even if it is by just sharing the inspiring stories of our history to children, than the Pan Africanist whose only contribution is to spend a ridiculous amount of energy explaining why we fail, why we will never be great, and how we must stop working on practical solutions and instead embrace a mills and boons version of African spirituality to stop us from feeling/being oppressed. That’s what I mean by negativity.

I do not believe we are powerless. Quite the opposite. Powerful people do not need to exploit and oppress others.

We need people who will rise us up, not beat us down.

Don't you think we need that sort of "kick up the arse" ? How is it really that different from the Paster on Sunday's? Should we be objective,rational,calm and collected!

I think we should treat our wider family with the same love and respect as we do those close to us. A kick every now and then doesn’t hurt, but we must seek to motivate people by inspiration not fearful manipulation. The Sunday pastor is no better with his heaven and hell, carrot and stick approach but in some ways the pastor is more honest as there is no pretense over the individual admitting that deep down they see the european as god and our only hope and saviour.

Should we be objective? Yes. Rational? Yes. Calm and collected? Well we should aim to be but if the spirit moves us, it moooooves us! laugh.gif

Also why do you think you have had such limited response so far to this very important question? i am very suprised at the many views but no comments.

I don’t know. Perhaps some of us are so convinced nothing will ever change we are beyond caring. Most people don’t even believe their contribution in life will make a difference whilst others are simply too afraid to try.

Bless x

Peace.

#8 vintage

vintage

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Nigerian

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:38 AM

The Radio show is improving slowly. There is a growing number of people who are starting to contribute to the show via phoning in.

As the show is still quite new, it will take time.

One key area which needs to be addressed is the phone line. When I call in its hard to hear what your saying , maybe its the connection...I don't know

Edited by vintage, 22 March 2009 - 01:39 AM.

#9 Kolonji

Kolonji

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Toyin @ Mar 20 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@lippy

The taboo idea is excellent and well needed, but I also want a balance of shows that deliberately seeks to uplift and inspire our people rather than broadcast a constant stream of negativity as we have now on our existing community stations. I will do my best to adress each and every one of those topics over the coming months, perhaps in a different format. Watch this space.

I read this a few days ago and wanted to fully concur with this observation on 'community radio's', we really do need get pass the mantra that we [Africans] are a 'problem' and the phrase 'the trouble with our people is?' ... I have a real problem with the constrant stream of talking heads telling us we are a 'problem' without ever coming up with credible strategies that can put into practice as individuals and as a collective.. So I would personally welcome some intelligent radio, that challenges our comfort zone constructively, instead reinforcing what we already know...

#10 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1530 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:26 AM

@Vintage

I’m really sorry about the phone problem, we can hear callers clearly but not the other way round. Hopefully due to our having to recently re-configure the system the issue should be closer to being permanently solved. We are trying to avoid using mobile phones because although this would quickly solve the problem, it would also make it far more expensive for listeners to interact especially our international callers!

@ Kolonji

In all fairness I can tell you that it is hard to focus on positive stories when you are being bombarded with negativity. Nonetheless I think it is essential that we do so lest our community switch off from feelings of hopelessness. I think where we get it wrong in radio land is in the lack of diversity of our programming. There may be a zillion news channels on sattelite/cable, but there are also comedy and history channels running concurrently to provide balance. All we seem to have at the moment is music or talk shows. I’m hoping long term, Nyansapo can change that by adding something else in-between.

#11 Teo

Teo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Market research, current events, music, religion, IT, positive culture.

• Cultural Heritage:
    West Africa

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

Greetings,

The last night edition of the radio talk show was progressive and inspiring in that it successfully impacted the imperatives for the African and Caribbean communities focus studies as well in the legal fields so as to enthuse within the confines of law.

I was specifically motivated by the astounding eloquence with which our host, guest and other participants elaborated their points and the meanings attached to equal protection and the rule of law in a democratic society.

I reserve “special thank you” for the radio host, reposing and implying whether or not an Employment Tribunal should review its judgment when it violates the law it was sworn in to uphold and whether EAT should over turn any illegal judgment passed by the Employment Tribunal in the interest of fair play and justice.

Let the will of Love be done!!

Teo

#12 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1530 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

Greetings,

The last night edition of the radio talk show was progressive and inspiring in that it successfully impacted the imperatives for the African and Caribbean communities focus studies as well in the legal fields so as to enthuse within the confines of law.

I was specifically motivated by the astounding eloquence with which our host, guest and other participants elaborated their points and the meanings attached to equal protection and the rule of law in a democratic society.

I reserve “special thank you” for the radio host, reposing and implying whether or not an Employment Tribunal should review its judgment when it violates the law it was sworn in to uphold and whether EAT should over turn any illegal judgment passed by the Employment Tribunal in the interest of fair play and justice.

Let the will of Love be done!!

Teo

@Teo

Thank you for your kind words but I really have to give the credit to our guest Bro Garry. Hi overview and encouragement for us to take an active role in participating with law on our own terms was inspirational. :)

#13 Teo

Teo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Market research, current events, music, religion, IT, positive culture.

• Cultural Heritage:
    West Africa

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:39 PM

Toyin,

I totally agree with your assertions implying that Brother Gary is not only inspirational but a valuable asset to our communities. He made his points forcefully and professionally as any other professional of his status would.

Similary, you impress me and that is why you deserve my commendation. When you sought to find out by asking twice whether a Tribunal should review its judgement when such judgment is only intended to treat someone, another humanbeing less favorably in favor of another, in a court of law, you are exceptionally spreading awareness that wrong in the dispensation of justice should not be allowed. Using several case studies around the issues of law help to galvanize and raise the hopes of greater awareness.

It is not likely to be that because it is Teo who is the subject of Tribunal's claims and therefore has nothing to do with you or me. I should be concerned that what affects you could possibly come my way tomorrow. Showing solidarity like this, does not necessarily have to be going in the court room to challenge the Judge or contributing your hard earned money to pay for a Solicitor, it can also be in the form of consensus that when something is wrong, it should be considered wrong and there is no other way around it. This,i beleive should be the basis of awareness in our communities.

How would you react, take for instant, if a legal practitioner in our midst would not say whether or not, if a Judge is wrong, they should review their judgment as compare to a white man, also a legal practioner who says, defintely that judge should review their judgment if they are wrong. which one of them you consider most, your brother, and which would you run to for advice, if our communities are confronted with legal matters?

If one is unable to make a simple moral consensus about right and wrong in our communities, how do you expect to rally for one another when a bigger consensus is required? I believe knowing all the legal terminology is secondary to making people knowing their rights. it does not require going into specifics or making references. If we know our rights as the first step to justice, we will be in a better position to chat the right course leading to restoring justice. Just as we black people need to know our rights to pursue justice, so are the white people. If eveyone knows their rights, they will try atleast to minimize infringing on the rights of others. One does not need to study law to respond to conditional questions such as the ones you advanced. Hat still off Bro.

In the name of Almighty Love!

Teo

#14 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1530 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

Toyin,

I totally agree with your assertions implying that Brother Gary is not only inspirational but a valuable asset to our communities. He made his points forcefully and professionally as any other professional of his status would.

Similary, you impress me and that is why you deserve my commendation. When you sought to find out by asking twice whether a Tribunal should review its judgement when such judgment is only intended to treat someone, another humanbeing less favorably in favor of another, in a court of law, you are exceptionally spreading awareness that wrong in the dispensation of justice should not be allowed. Using several case studies around the issues of law help to galvanize and raise the hopes of greater awareness.

Thanks for your kind words Teo, I and others like me try our best with the limited resources we have.

Showing solidarity... does not necessarily have to be going in the court room to challenge the Judge or contributing your hard earned money to pay for a Solicitor, it can also be in the form of consensus that when something is wrong, it should be considered wrong and there is no other way around it. This,i believe should be the basis of awareness in our communities.

I agree 100%. If there are two areas the Pan African movement are weak on its;

1) Awareness - As in normalising wider awareness (note this is different from creating awareness) amongst our people

2) Relevance - Moving past romanticism in order to successfully utilise our history to provide constructive lessons and guidelines for progressive change in our communities. Moving beyond rhetoric and actively making liberation work relevant to our daily lives and concerns.

#15 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1530 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

This Tuesday at 9pm, I will be hosting a special edition of the Pan African Drum.

Through Nyansapo we will be broadcasting a programme that instead of focusing on the nostalgia of the New Cross Fire tragedy of 18 January 1981 , will concentrate on the real lessons learnt. What did we do, what could we do, what today as we lose another thirteen, fourteen, fifteen hundred, week after week, month after month, year after year, what MUST we do.

Click here to to read the Nyansapo Newsletter for this programme

#16 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1530 posts
    Female Empowerment
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

Nyansapo Radio is being renamed:

Nyansapo - The Pan African Community University (London)

nyansapo-pcu-logo-med.jpg

We are currently running test broadcasts that are avaialble on the main Ligali website at:

http://www.ligali.org/nyansapo.html

or via TuneIn which can be accessed via mobile phones or online at:

http://tunein.com/ra...ansapo-s252433/

All suggestions on its format, content and prefered day and time of live broadcasts are welcome. :smile:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users