duwaynebrooks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    Jamaican Parents

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:33 AM

Since the murder of my friend Steve (Stephen Lawrence to everyone else) life at one stage was so hard for me I started to wish I kept my mouth shut.

14 years on still no justice but what is more hurtful is that there will never be any justice. No one will ever serve any form of sentance.

The lawrence family and I are a classic example of the system at work. Divide and rule. Because of that division things were allowed to slip away.

Police, the authorities etc must all understand how racist attitudes and policies effect our lives but more important than that is the way we treat each other.

It hurts me so much when I see the lack of respect and love we show to our brothers and sisters. Until we stop disriminating against ourselves we can not get rid of racism.

Racism is a disease and discrimination is a sympton just like ignorance. Lets get rid of the symptons amongst our own and then move to educate others.

One love for ever.

#2 PantherWoman

PantherWoman

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (duwaynebrooks @ Apr 17 2007, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It hurts me so much when I see the lack of respect and love we show to our brothers and sisters. Until we stop disriminating against ourselves we can not get rid of racism.

One love for ever.

Hi Duwayne, welcome to the forums. Firstly I'd like to express my heartfelt sympathies to you for having lost your friend in such a horrific way. I cannot imagine what a nightmare that must have been for you.

With all due respect though, I disagree with your above statement. While I agree that we have a way to go in terms of uniting/working together to improve our situations, I do not believe that racism is something that is caused by our discriminating against each other, therefore in my opinion, it's unlikely that we will be able to get rid of racism simply by ceasing to do this.

In other words, it is not our fault that racism exists and as a result we have little power to get rid of it. This is not to say we are helpless to reduce or remove some of the symptoms or consequences of racism, just that it's important to remember that we are the victims of racism - not the cause of it.

#3 spirit

spirit

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Ugandan/Indian

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:52 AM

Greetings Duwayne, PantherWoman

By uniting and working together as opposed to fighting against each other, we may not be able to get rid of racism, but like you say Pantherwoman we may be better placed to reduce or remove the symptoms.

In terms of some of the liberties that the police take with us however, unity is our only hope. Many of us would be shocked if we knew the amount of abuse and brutality that our children and young men are subjected to at the hands of the police. The majority of young people I talk to do not report this abuse because they often rightly believe that they will not get any justice so the stats are far worse that we are told.

For this reason unity is important because despite what Uncle Jasper says about how things have improved between us and the police and how 'we have come a long way since the 1980s' we have not, and our young people are suffering just as much if not more (armed police with a licence to kill) as a result of corrupt/racist policing.

They need us to understand this and to find ways of supporting them so they don't see police brutuality and racism as a way of life and feel powerless to do something about it but as something that can and must be challenged - by any means. And they need to have the support of their elders and their peers. Maybe by drawing their attention to their real enemy in this regard, they will start to see their African peers as allies as opposed to potential enemies.

Love and Peace ph34r.gif
'I HAVE ADVOCATED AND I STILL ADVOCATE REVOLUTIONARY CHANGE'
SISTER ASSATA SHAKUR

#4 Mogho Naaba

Mogho Naaba

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3233 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Afrikan by way of the Native Indian homelands

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

@Duwayne Brooks

Just to think Steve's death is exactly 14 years already.

Your book has been an inspiration to me personally and I've discussed it with young people during volunteer work, including family since it was released in 2003.

I'm sorry about all the things you had to experience prior to, during and after Steve's death. I'm also vexed they pulled your excellent book off the shelves and you have to jump through hoops just to get a copy. It's essential reading for Africans in this country. I have to big you up, because all the obstacles you had to face from all sides and being thrown in jail is something I don't know I could have endured if I was in your situation. Whilst I sympathise with the Lawrences, I truly feel they could have and should have handled things a lot better during that period.

I'm curious, what's your relationship like (if there is one) with them now?

RIP - Stephen Lawrence

Edited by Mogho Naaba, 17 April 2007 - 12:13 PM.

#5 RESS

RESS

Loyal Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Jamaican

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:07 PM

A member os RESS attended an event dedicated to Stephen Lawrence by the Royal Institute of British Architects.

Apparently Stephen Lawrence wanted to be an Architect. This possibly inspired the RIBA to be so generous.

http://www.riba.org/go/RIBA/Home.html

Search "Stephen Lawrence"

http://www.architect...rchResults.html

RESS asked a question similar to the one below to the panel of Architects:

How does the problem of Institutional Racism which is White Supremacy impact on those people wishing to become Architects?

The question was ignored by all the White people on the panel. An Architect who would be classified as Black made a brave attempt to address the issue.

RESS research shows that White Supremacists Racist Terrorist Saboteurs work to destroy the family in order to weaken any chance of justice for children classified as Black who have been Killed/Murdered directly and indirectly by the system of Institutional Racism built on White Supremacist ideology.

RESS research shows that White Supremacists Racist Terrorist Saboteurs most effective anti-family/anti-community weapon is Money and Sex presented as Material or Emotional help.

Does the Royal Institute of British Architects remain a White Supremacist Racist Terrorist controlled Institution?

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/RaceInspectorate/index.htm

#6 RESS

RESS

Loyal Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Jamaican

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

There appears to be something suspicious about the Goldschmied Trust.

http://www.goldschmiedfoundation.org/

Stephen Lawrence Prize

The Stephen Lawrence Prize is sponsored by the Goldschmied Trust and rewards the best examples of projects that have a construction budget of less than £1 million. The prize is intended to encourage fresh talent working with smaller budgets.

The award is judged by a panel including architect Marco Goldschmied and Doreen Lawrence OBE, mother of the teenager who was setting out on the road to becoming an architect when he was murdered in 1993.

The winner of the 2006 Stephen Lawrence Prize was Wrap House, London W4 by Alison Brooks Architects.

Is it a fact that White Supremacist Racist Architectectual organisations are making huge sums of money over the death of Stephen Lawrence?

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/RaceInspectorate/index.htm

#7 spirit

spirit

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Ugandan/Indian

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (RESS @ Apr 19 2007, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There appears to be something suspicious about the Goldschmied Trust.

http://www.goldschmiedfoundation.org/

Is it a fact that White Supremacist Racist Architectectual organisations are making huge sums of money over the death of Stephen Lawrence?

Tried the link but got this

We are sorry but search on www.riba.org is currently unavailable - it will be restored shortly

Wonder what that's all about... maybe they're 'updating' the site, Lol!

Ooops! Take that back, can still search site in box on right....
'I HAVE ADVOCATED AND I STILL ADVOCATE REVOLUTIONARY CHANGE'
SISTER ASSATA SHAKUR

#8 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

Two men are to stand trial over the murder of Stephen Lawrence ... (click for more)

Posted Image

Gary Dobson and David Norris

#9 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Since the murder of my friend Steve (Stephen Lawrence to everyone else) life at one stage was so hard for me I started to wish I kept my mouth shut.

14 years on still no justice but what is more hurtful is that there will never be any justice. No one will ever serve any form of sentance ...

Why we should give up hunt for Stephen’s killers (Says pal who witnessed the attack) (click for more)

Edited by MarcusGarveyLives, 21 April 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#10 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
  • Interests:Pan Africanism & Human Rights
    Female Empowerment
    African Literature, Film and Arts
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

@duwaynebrooks

I apologise for being so late in greeting you and am so sorry for your having to experience the horrors of that day.

I write now however having just read your recent comments in the media.

In particular the statement that “We have to come to a point where we should give up on the Lawrence case. It is only fair.”

I believe this to be wrong both politically and spiritually. Politically because the fact that it is you saying it give supports to racists who do not believe it was a crime worthy of the attention it has attracted, spiritually because any conscious decision to allow evil to escape justice just because it is cheaper than doing what's right, is wrong. 

#11 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

Not for the first time,  Elders Mr & Mrs Lawrence apparently disagree with Brother Duwayne Brooks:

We won't give up until ALL Stephen's killers are jailed: On the 20th anniversary of Lawrence murder, a message of defiance from his parents (click for more)

Stephen Lawrence: Murdered teenager's mum demands all five members of racist gang who killed him be locked up (click for more)

Africans - including Duwayne Brooks - may also find the following of interest:

Stephen Lawrence: Twenty years on from the teenager's shocking murder where are the gang members now?:  Two are in jail for murder but three are still roaming the streets - and living comfortable lives (click for more)

Stephen Lawrence killer Neil Acourt living charmed life just two miles from scene of murder 20 years ago (click for more)

#12 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Since the murder of my friend Steve (Stephen Lawrence to everyone else) life at one stage was so hard for me I started to wish I kept my mouth shut.

14 years on still no justice but what is more hurtful is that there will never be any justice. No one will ever serve any form of sentance.

"Scotland Yard is facing new pressure over the Stephen Lawrence case after it emerged officers bugged meetings with the main witness in the case, Duwayne Brooks, and his lawyer ..."

Stephen Lawrence murder: police bugged meetings with witness (click for more) 

#13 Black Lion

Black Lion

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hey Duwayne, hope everything is cool. We actually work together but thats another story.

I can see where the brother is coming from, obvious some would want to take the headline as a message to forget the case but perhaps what Duwayne is saying is that people should be allowed to move on. In my opinion it has long got to the point where its being used and not as a case that highlights a culture of racism but one of isolated incidents unrelated to the cause behind such goings on. Why don't other cases get the same focus? Why isn't the media shocked and abhored at the murder of an African during one of the many police cases? From a victims perspective I personally wouldn't want an incident playing out throughout the rest of my life and sadly, with all of the stabbings over the years such crimes have less of a potent point to make.

#14 Toyin

Toyin

Ligali Member

• 1532 posts
  • Interests:Pan Africanism & Human Rights
    Female Empowerment
    African Literature, Film and Arts
    Conscious Music
    Sci-Fi

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba (Nigeria)

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

@ Black Lion,

I hear what you're saying but disagree with some of your points.

If the murdered child was from my family I would not want to 'move on' until I had justice. This would mean all the killers behind bars not just a couple of them.

You are right about the way that other African deaths in the UK do not get the same level of coverage but in all fairness if we as a community don't make sufficient noise about them then why should we expect a largely racist media to?

#15 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

I notice that Duwayne Brooks was due to meet his political leader on this today:

Duwayne Brooks to meet Nick Clegg to discuss Lawrence family smear claims (click for more)

#16 Black Lion

Black Lion

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Apparently Duwayne didn't make the statement printed by the Sun, not sure how it was twisted or misinterpreted but there you go.

Am not sure what amount of noise we would need to make to be heard about custody deaths or young teenage murders. I don't think extroverting any further will help resolve anything, asking, begging, protesting for state power to move in our favour. The Lawrence case has gone on for many years now and has no doubt blighted the lives of the ciminals involved even though they have yet to have passed through the conviction system enough to have been proven guilty. There are many other cases which have been protested about, rioted over and yet none has recived the same level of interest garnered toward this case by white liberals and the forever apologetic gift horse class. Much good has come from it all, why not a focus on that?

Sorry, the victim thing really gets to me at times, we need to champion our own stories more often IMO.

Peace

BL

#17 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Apparently Duwayne didn't make the statement printed by the Sun, not sure how it was twisted or misinterpreted but there you go.

These are the words attributed to Duwayne Brooks in The Sun, 20 April 2013:

There has to come a time when we draw a line under the events.

We have to come to a point where we should give up on the Lawrence case. It is only fair.

If you let your emotions lead you dont want the police to stop looking, you want them to spend as much money as possible.

But if you take the emotions out of it, you think about the amount of murder cases which have happened and the amount of money which has been spent on the Lawrence case that hasnt gone into many of those other murders, which might have solved some of those.

If he did not say those words, what exactly did he say?

After those reported comments caused outrage in the African community, two days later Duwayne Brooks is reported as saying the following:

Common sense says there will come a time when the money being used to keep the investigation going could be used elsewhere. As a victim, I don't want them to stop until they find all the killers"

Source:  Duwayne Brooks wants Met to catch all of Stephen's killers, Voice Online, 22 April 2013

As Duwayne Brooks has not posted on this forum recently (his last post was on 19 April 2007 (one of a total of three posts in six years), can I suggest that instead of meeting with his leader to discuss the Stephen Lawrence case, why doesn't he clear the matter up here with Africans? 

The Lawrence case has gone on for many years now and has no doubt blighted the lives of the ciminals involved even though they have yet to have passed through the conviction system enough to have been proven guilty.

If you had actually read the material posted on this thread (and available elsewhere, although rarely discussed on so-called "community radio stations", you would see that three of the 'prime suspects' in Stephen Lawrence's murder are still freely walking the streets of south east London, alive and generally very well.   The same cannot be said for Stephen Lawrence, his family or even, arguably, Duwayne Brooks

There are many other cases which have been protested about, rioted over and yet none has recived the same level of interest garnered toward this case by white liberals and the forever apologetic gift horse class. Much good has come from it all, why not a focus on that?

What are you actually talking about?

Sorry, the victim thing really gets to me at times, we need to champion our own stories more often IMO.

Again, what are you actually talking about?

The case of Stephen Lawrence and the continuing revelations is our story.

I am very suspicious of those who want to cover-up the sordid Truths that are eventually coming to light, even twenty years after the lynching.  

#18 Black Lion

Black Lion

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Should be obvious what I'm talking about, the same focus given to the Lawrence case should feature in all cases of 'common' and police abuse we have seen over the years but it has now been turned into a media fair for politicians and others to seek brownie points from, it is now about AN incident just as racism is now touted as being AN expression of certain individuals rather than a culture that influences such thinking. I am very suspicious of a media that over covers certain stories and puts others in the shade, there are many highly suspisious goings on seen in many of the cases we have seen over the years, not including those cases from twenty plus years ago, so far that the fustration culminated in the youth rioting due to the lack of attention given toward them and the conditions they face each day.

#19 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

Should be obvious what I'm talking about, ....

I'm afraid it isn't to me.

... the same focus given to the Lawrence case should feature in all cases of 'common' and police abuse we have seen over the years but it has now been turned into a media fair for politicians and others to seek brownie points from, it is now about AN incident just as racism is now touted as being AN expression of certain individuals rather than a culture that influences such thinking.

I'm afraid that I can make neither head or nor tail of this.  The 20 years of revelations that make up the whole Stephen Lawrence affair are "an incident"?   Have you actually followed the case or made any attempt at all to familiarise yourself with the facts?

I am very suspicious of a media that over covers certain stories and puts others in the shade, ...

Tell us which cases the African media should cover.

... there are many highly suspisious goings on seen in many of the cases we have seen over the years, not including those cases from twenty plus years ago, so far that the fustration culminated in the youth rioting due to the lack of attention given toward them and the conditions they face each day.

Again - a  lot of words, but what specifically are you actually talking about?  If the Stephen Lawrence case is receiving too much attention, what are the specific cases that the African media should be covering?   Have you seen them reported or discussed on Blacknet Village?   Have you (or others) started threads there on the cases of concern to you?  Are they being discussed on so-called "community radio"?  Have you (or others) phoned in about the cases of concern to you?  

Like I said, I am very suspicious of those who want to cover-up the sordid Truths about the case of Stephen Lawrence that are eventually coming to light, even twenty years after the lynching. 

I'm afraid I don't see why any aspect of this affair should be covered up at all until we finally have the whole Truth, and I don't see why this prevents other cases of injustice being reported on by, and discussed in, the African media.

#20 Black Lion

Black Lion

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Not covered up, no one is seekign to cover up anything it is obvious that a lot of money, time and focus has been spent on this particular case, money, time and focus that has not been spent on other cases many of which would provide just as if not more of an insight into the goings on in the police force let alone the mindstate of the public toward Africans. Don't think I need to post a list of people who have been murdered by police officers since our arrival, or of the unresolved cases of racially inspired murders in the past. It has been proven that police corruption was involved in the case, how does this impact on others, did they treat other families in the same way etc.

With this case and the Jimmy Mubenga inquest returning an 'unlawful killing' verdict lets hope we are reaching a watershed moment in British history where malicious death in custody cases have a legitimate avenue to pursue justice.

This is one step closer, now lets see what happens with the prosecution of the officer who unlawfully killed Azelle.

-Toyin

Taken from the thread on the Azelle case, which would apply well to other cases rather than an implicit focus on one.

Edited by Black Lion, 17 July 2013 - 12:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users