Photo

Britain's First 'black' Judge Releases Controversial Book.

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Mogho Naaba

Mogho Naaba

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3233 posts

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    Afrikan by way of the Native Indian homelands

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:23 PM

The author of a controversial best-selling book that details her abusive childhood has challenged her mother to face her in court after her mum accused her of lying.

Constance Briscoe’s book, Ugly, shot to number one in the hardback non-fiction charts on its release last month and has sold around 100,000 copies.

But the book has been plagued by controversy with Briscoe’s mum and three of her siblings denouncing it as untrue. In it, Briscoe – known as Clare as a child – claims her mother, Carmen, brutally beat her with a stick, cut her with a knife and abandoned her when she was just 13.

Briscoe later went on to become one of Britain’s first black female judges. Mum Carmen has fiercely denied the claims, saying: ‘It is not true. Nothing like that happened. Clare wasn’t singled out. I loved all my children dearly.’

She is considering legal action. Her solicitor Ade Soyege, of Samuel Ross Solicitors in London, told New Nation: ‘The client is taking advice as to her legal position.’ But in her first and only interview with a black newspaper, Briscoe, 48, said she stood by her story.

‘I know that my mother has come out in the papers and said that I’m a liar but my mother knows that it is true and she also knows there is overwhelming support from other people who say that it is true,’

she said. ‘If my mother wants to sue me, then bring it on.’

#2 Forward

Forward

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:43 PM

Tried as I could, I couldn't find a photo of this woman's husband....

I might be wrong, but I can't imagine any black man encouraging his black wife to write such a story - true or not. I've read so many of these stories that the pages of this one I've flicked through shed no new light for me to encourage me to buy it.

Of course it would shoot up in sales -- it's portraying a black family in a negative light and white people love that.

#3 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3798 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:01 PM

This may assist you: http://www.blackchat...um32/19156.html

#4 Twang

Twang

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:02 AM

Need we say more?

I was almost in support of her if she was genuinely abused but I think her choice of partner speaks for it’s self.

#5 Sooofresh

Sooofresh

Loyal Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:30 PM

well she did get abused by her mother, i understand her anger regardless of her husband choice........simple as.

#6 Mogho Naaba

Mogho Naaba

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3233 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Afrikan by way of the Native Indian homelands

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (Twang @ Mar 2 2006, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Need we say more?

I was almost in support of her if she was genuinely abused but I think her choice of partner speaks for it’s self.

Just to play devils advocate for a minute, do you think the abuse she allegedly received as a child may have contributed to her choice of partner? Would you be supportive of this woman had she married an African?

#7 Danny

Danny

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Interests:Linguistics, Culture, Learning, Truths

• Cultural Heritage:
    Nigerian

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (PRINCE HAKEEM @ Mar 3 2006, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you think the abuse she allegedly received as a child may have contributed to her choice of partner?

Yes.

Does the 'UGLY' title imply her mum mistreated her because she was not as pretty as her other sisters?

Maybe her sisters should speak out. Were they prettier, or were they in the same boat when the beating was meated out.

Face it. I got beats when I was a young.

I thank my parents for the vast majority of it. rolleyes.gif

Only a spoilt european softy would find her story harrowing.

Her partner of choice perhaps.

She finds her own race and own face...UGLY.

Tragic tale.

Good luck to her despite the continued loss.
You can't stop the reign.

#8 huzzah

huzzah

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 3 2006, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes.

Does the 'UGLY' title imply her mum mistreated her because she was not as pretty as her other sisters?

Maybe her sisters should speak out. Were they prettier, or were they in the same boat when the beating was meated out.

Face it. I got beats when I was a young.

I thank my parents for the vast majority of it. rolleyes.gif

Only a spoilt european softy would find her story harrowing.

Her partner of choice perhaps.

She finds her own race and own face...UGLY.

Tragic tale.

Good luck to her despite the continued loss.

You raised some fundamental points. What she's alleged to have suffered is no different to a what ANY other child has gone through in their lifetime. Why only her and not ANY of her other siblings? Why are her siblings quick to defend their mother? I really think it is a race issue - her partner is an old white male QC. Can we see him (or her) jumping up against Africans in judicial system? Highly unlikely.

It's another case of wannabe celeb cashing in on their childhood

#9 Sooofresh

Sooofresh

Loyal Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

Huzzah

Just because not all siblings did not get abused, does not mean it does not happen.

I am sure a rapist would not rape EVERY single women he meets.

The point is sometimes the child could be associated with a bad period in the parnets life ie divorce and the child gets scrap goated.

I know cases were the child resembled the father and when the father left the mother hates the child.

beside if it is not true why would the family not take her to court?, eminims mum did it wneh he deframed her character...............because their is evidence and it is true.

let me add, the woman is RICH and does not need extras, we are not talking page three kiss and tell.

Heck she is angry with a mother who after 30 years WILL NOT APOLOGISE for her actions.

If my mum did that to me and showed NO explantion, NO remorse or even an apology i would want to hurt my mother too, to show her how much she hurted me................by telling everyone what a disgrace of a mother she is.

#10 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3798 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:30 PM

Her mother denies the abuse (Daily Mail, Saturday 28 January 2006, ps 34-36). I understand that she is taking legal advice.

I also noticed that in a number of articles Ms Briscoe is referred to as a "QC". Strangely she does not seem to be a QC as far as her own chambers are concerned: http://www.bellyard.co.uk/barristers/

Further, in The Scotsman, 29 January 2006, it states:

"She works as both a prosecutor and a defence lawyer, and in 1996 was appointed one of Britain's first black female judges on a part-time basis. Until now she has been an intensely private woman. Not one of her high-flying colleagues at the Bar knew her secret. Not even her partner, Tony Arlidge, a fellow barrister and QC and the father of her two children, knew, until he read her autobiography, Ugly. He cried when he read it. "I have just never discussed my past, ever, until this book," says Briscoe."

Whereas, 2 weeks earlier, in The Sunday Times (15 January 2006), we were told in an interview with Ms Briscoe:

"She has written the book to let her children, now teenagers, know “something about their mum”, and at the behest of her partner, Tony Arlidge, a writer and QC".

If Anthony Arlidge QC did not know about the abuse that Ms Briscoe alleges (interview 29 January 2006) until he read about it in the book, how could the same book have been written "at his behest" (15 January 2006)?

As they are both barristers, maybe they can post something here to clarify why the story changed after it had been publicised that the book was written "at his behest".

Will you be posting on the Ligali forum?

#11 Sooofresh

Sooofresh

Loyal Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:34 PM

MGL

))))kiss teet((((

typical you.......more concered about image then child abuse.

well once the trial gets going then we can decide.

Beside on her university grant application...........WHY SHE WAS NOT ABLE TO GET A SIGNATURE........in her book her mum refused...............so instead she had to postpone her university untill she can afford it.

if her mum is really sweet why not sign the grant application.............she is entitled to it.

let me guess........her mum is dumb ignorant wicked witch who is unable to do a simple signature...........

i doube her daughter would want to hide from parents that she wants to to universtity.

QC or not.............she aint poor............and even if she wanted money.........why not ick on her dad or anybody else, if her mum is so sweet.

anyway i await this so called trial

Edited by Sooofresh, 04 March 2006 - 06:35 PM.

#12 Twang

Twang

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (PRINCE HAKEEM @ Mar 3 2006, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to play devils advocate for a minute, do you think the abuse she allegedly received as a child may have contributed to her choice of partner? Would you be supportive of this woman had she married an African?

That did cross my mind but u see the only problem I have with this, is that this kiss and tell thing is a european trait chatting all your business outa road for a bit of change. I can imagine if she was abused her confiding in her other half just off loading a lot of personal issues and this supposed sympathetic ear being flabbergasted by abusive Africans encouraging her to put it on paper make some money out of her pain while raising his and her profile. Now if she had married an African how much do u wanna bet she wouldn’t of written a book? The fact that she didn’t set up a charity or something for abused children speaks volumes of her mindset and where she’s really at. If ever u wanted to show your gratitude of being invited onto the bar how else do make insecure europeans feel u wont betray there trust by helping your own. Lets be real here this a so called professional black British disease where in order to be fully accepted by your white counterparts dating or marriage just isn’t enough it’s standard practise to swear an oath of allegiance by publicly denigrating their own.

QUOTE (Sooofresh @ Mar 4 2006, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
beside if it is not true why would the family not take her to court?, eminims mum did it wneh he deframed her character...............because their is evidence and it is true.
let me add, the woman is RICH and does not need extras, we are not talking page three kiss and tell.

Why would the family not take her to court are u serious fighting her on her own territory??? There’s one thing people have to learn about having money depending on ones mindset and how much u believe in the system u can never have enough and if u think u do then the drive becomes more about status recognition and power again all european traits I wonder who her influences are?

#13 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3798 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:33 PM

In The Scotsman, 29 January 2006, it states:

"She works as both a prosecutor and a defence lawyer, and in 1996 was appointed one of Britain's first black female judges on a part-time basis. Until now she has been an intensely private woman. Not one of her high-flying colleagues at the Bar knew her secret. Not even her partner, Tony Arlidge, a fellow barrister and QC and the father of her two children, knew, until he read her autobiography, Ugly. He cried when he read it. "I have just never discussed my past, ever, until this book," says Briscoe."

Whereas, 2 weeks earlier, in The Sunday Times (15 January 2006), we were told in an interview with Ms Briscoe:

"She has written the book to let her children, now teenagers, know “something about their mum”, and at the behest of her partner, Tony Arlidge, a writer and QC".

If Anthony Arlidge QC did not know about the abuse that Ms Briscoe alleges (interview 29 January 2006) until he read about it in the book, how could the same book have been written "at his behest" (15 January 2006)?

As they are both barristers, maybe they can post something here to clarify why the story changed after it had been publicised that the book was written "at his behest".

Daahhhlin, I fear that one of them has found you out!

#14 Twang

Twang

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:40 PM

huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif

#15 Forward

Forward

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Caribbean

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:06 PM

@ MGL

I can't see the picture of Ms. B's Massa-partner (even after TRYING to register), but judging by the comments it did not take much imagining to know that her partner was not a brother.
Any chance you can attach a copy here. It will be "interesting" to see what she's hooked up with.

@ All
I have NO doubt that she was abused, but so what? Which one of us on this messageboard can say, hand on heart, that we have not suffered abuse in some way or other? Which one of us will be the next to write our "story" for the world to read? Well, perhaps..... let's start with yours, Twang. May I have embellishing, er sorry, editing, rights? biggrin.gif

The one good thing about her situation is that she didn't let the abuse hold her back..she went on, despite it, to make a life for herself.

I find it incredible that she never mentioned it to her Massa-partner she hooked up with (does "partner" mean they are not married - so she's good enough to f*ck and have kids with but not good enough to wed?" I'm sure you'll correct me if they are married) over all these years. Abused people are easy to spot..there are SIGNS. Or is it a case like your "Olympic-possible-bribe-taking-hubby" Minister not talking about that large "gift" until some years later... Just a thought.

@ Twang

On the nail...a most european thing.

Regarding her financial status, what do we know FOR SURE about her financial status? What habits does she have that we are unaware of. Paper income is just that -- it's not fluid.

The trial, if her mother goes through with it which I doubt she will (as some deal will likely be struck), will tell all - and the press will have a hay day --- or many days as it's more black people bad-mouthing each other! And yes, it's a white-loving brown-skinned woman against her black family! Pure tabloid fodder.

#16 huzzah

huzzah

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (Twang @ Mar 4 2006, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...The fact that she didn’t set up a charity or something for abused children speaks volumes of her mindset and where she’s really at.

clap.gif

I was about to post this in response to one of Soofresh's questions. As has been said before does she really need the money? As a judge/QC why didn't she devote some of her time to helping victims of abuse rather than attending lavish dinner parties?

And as for having to save up to go to university, we've all been there. I can't see anything exceptional about what she's supposed to have been through.

#17 MarcusGarveyLives

MarcusGarveyLives

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3798 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:10 AM

For those who are interested, as requested, meet Anthony Arlidge QC, at whose behest the book was written before he had heard about it (!?!):

http://www.18rlc.co....=3&p_profile=10

#18 DSP

DSP

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Kpelle/Bassa/Freed Kidnap Victim

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

Interesting story.

#19 Twang

Twang

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (Forward @ Mar 4 2006, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find it incredible that she never mentioned it to her Massa-partner she hooked up with (does "partner" mean they are not married - so she's good enough to f*ck and have kids with but not good enough to wed?" I'm sure you'll correct me if they are married) over all these years. Abused people are easy to spot..there are SIGNS. Or is it a case like your "Olympic-possible-bribe-taking-hubby" Minister not talking about that large "gift" until some years later... Just a thought.

Out of interest is her partner the father of her teenaged children?

#20 yorubagirl

yorubagirl

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Establishing a business enterprise in Dominica. Reading, writing, daydreaming and living a stress free life with my darling husband.
    :)

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (huzzah @ Mar 4 2006, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You raised some fundamental points. What she's alleged to have suffered is no different to a what ANY other child has gone through in their lifetime. Why only her and not ANY of her other siblings? Why are her siblings quick to defend their mother? I really think it is a race issue - her partner is an old white male QC. Can we see him (or her) jumping up against Africans in judicial system? Highly unlikely.

It's another case of wannabe celeb cashing in on their childhood

Sorry. As a counsellor, and what I have seen, she was right to tell her story. clap.gif This has been therapetic, regardless of the consequences. Yes, she's married to a cracker. Yes. I feel, after listening and seeing her speak that she has massive issues with her culture; with her Africaness. I see that full on. However, her pain is real. Her beatings were real. Analysing her, she still holds onto the bitterness of her beatings. I am no way an advocate in her choice of lifestyle and the white folks that I know that she invaribly choses in her social settings. However, I am an advocate for African children who relentlessly get savagely beaten down by their parents, where the impact of their pain is still printed on their pysches over many decades. How do I know? I was one. I went through the fostering experience. This is still a sore subject within the Nigerian community, specifically, the Yoruba communtiy, where I 'aired' my dirty laundry within a public arena - TV. I got villified and cursed out by my mother's friends and family for putting words on the pain I felt, when both me and my twin sister AND brothers were farmed out and fostered at an early age (10 months and 2 years respectively).

I am tired of us, Africans, as a community, closing our eyes to the abuse that we give ourselves and then try to justify it by saying that the 'beatings' did us good. I took my rose coloured spectacles off and saw the bullshit that happened to me. I resented my mother. Truth. It took a long time to forgive her and the notion of why she gave me up to fostering with abusive white folks. Who abused me. Mentally, physically and sexually. I give her props for telling her story.
My journey for me was to enter the counselling process. I am not fearful of saying that in public, because it was my life saver. In fact, I am in the middle of researching about my own life within the white foster care system in the 60s and 70s and how it invaribly affected me.
That is one of the reasons why I trained to become a professional counsellor. To help other African youth to be realistic to the pain that was meted out to them and the enduring painful impacts it has had and still has on their lives.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users