Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    Kpelle/Bassa/Freed Kidnap Victim

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (JETT BLACK @ Jan 4 2006, 12:39 AM)
QUOTE (DSP @ Jan 4 2006, 12:33 AM)
I love the way African women feed you and after you finish they offer you the last piece on their plate.  I love to offer them mine.

An African man can be touchy feely without you getting the uneasy feeling of "Is he gay?"  Being in the west too long has made me too sensitive to that.  It's gotten so bad you cant' mention wiping your own **cough** ass**cough** excuse me, bum after using the bathroom without someone mentioning it being homo to even touching there.

ROTFL at second paragraph ...so true.

Laughing even harder at the first,the very notion that I would give you my last piece of food has me in hysterics. biggrin.gif

But lets not get off topic DSP,try to resist answering this.*evil grin*

Resist eh? cool.gif I know you wouldn't give me your last peace of food. Bajan(dated one of those too, her rude ass could cook though) women are notorious for being miserable and angry. The Jamaican women still held on to their giving traits, unlike many of you evil heffas from "little england". tongue.gif

I love how African women are so full of forgiveness and love you up after a big fight.

**smooches**

#22 InCharge

InCharge

Loyal Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:47 AM

The large extended family

Edited by InCharge, 04 January 2006 - 10:02 AM.

http://www.trinicenter.com/

#23 InCharge

InCharge

Loyal Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:01 AM

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti (legendary, politically aware musician)

Edited by InCharge, 04 January 2006 - 10:02 AM.

http://www.trinicenter.com/

#24 Voo

Voo

Ligali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1306 posts
  • Interests:History, politics, literature, music, language, culture, people, progression and revolution...

• Cultural Heritage:
    Parents were born in Grenada

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:05 AM

* Southern African accents esp Zimbabwean. Grenadian accents.

* Someone mentioned it earlier, but the way we talk... for hours and hours and hours. Thank God for BT's Option 3 package because my phonebill would be a disgrace otherwise!!!

* Obvisouly the food but I also love the way we can make something delicious from an onion, a tomato and a potato... not to mention the customary ton of spices!

* Grenadian cocoa... apparently the best in the world.

* Our homelands!! Where everything and practically anything can grow. Nothing better than getting home grown fruits, veg and spices straight from back home when relatives/friends come back from their visits.

* Our sense of spirituality. We don't need a religon constructed outside African culture for us to believe in God/deities/the ancestors etc. I've never met an African who doesn't believe in something...

* We are just a beautiful looking people

* Our endless bank of proverbs and the way we talk in metaphors e.g. When standing in front of the TV, rather than say, "I can't see through you", we'd say something like "Is your father a glass maker?"

* Intelligence - Depsite the propaganda, I think we are very, very intelligent. Maybe too intelligent which is why too many of our people end up in mental institutions... sad.gif

* The way your friends will put themselves out for you, even if it means inconveniencing themselves - something not to be taken for granted. And there's none of this 'tit for tat' nonsense...
"To kill a woman is to kill humanity itself"

#25 Gazelle

Gazelle

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    BUQ

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (Voo @ Jan 4 2006, 11:05 AM)
* Southern African accents esp Zimbabwean. Grenadian accents.

Thank you, thank you.

********Gazelle takes a bow********

#26 Lady Vee

Lady Vee

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Grenadian/Guyanese

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (Voo @ Jan 4 2006, 10:05 AM)
* Grenadian accents.

* Grenadian cocoa... apparently the best in the world.

* We are just a beautiful looking people

* Our endless bank of proverbs and the way we talk in metaphors e.g. When standing in front of the TV, rather than say, "I can't see through you", we'd say something like "Is your father a glass maker?"

I hear you, Voo. My husband's family love hearing my Dad talk. They engage him in conversation about rubbish just to hear that accent. And, of course, he loves it!!!!

Not sure about that cocoa. I remember Dad making the stuff every Friday. Eww!

Now, first on my list is the African man. No-one can touch him for poise, finesse and downright sexiness.

African children. I love the way they look and feel. europeans just look so washed out!

Our food (apart from mawbey!)

The respect we hold for our elders. I know there's not so much of this within the younger generation, but I still call elders Mom or Pop even if I don't know them from Adam.

#27 Voo

Voo

Ligali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1306 posts
  • Interests:History, politics, literature, music, language, culture, people, progression and revolution...

• Cultural Heritage:
    Parents were born in Grenada

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

@ Lady Vee

Now sis, how can you be dissing mawbey!!! I was lapping that stuff up like no one's business over new year. As my mum would say, its a drink for real women!! biggrin.gif lol!! My Man hates it though... he calls it morbid. My neices who are 3 and 4 also love the stuff and I'm in the process of trying to indoctrinate my baby daughter!

As for the Cocoa, girl... how COULD you?? Don't you know how rich in iron it is!! wink.gif

Have to agree with you on African men. Nothing and no one touches them. You know those days when you they just p*ss you off and then start talking some sweetness in your ear and you're just torn between cussing or kissing them!

@ Gazelle

You are welcome my dear!

@ DSP

"An African man can be touchy feely without you getting the uneasy feeling of "Is he gay?"

I think this is soooo important.

Continued...
* The fact that no matter where you are, the world is a small place! I remember going to New York with family a few years ago and within days my mum kept bucking up with people on the street who she knew from back home in Grenada!! Also, in the UK, I find that meeting people for the first time, you can usually find that they know the cousin of your sister's best friend or that they are your cousin! lol smile.gif

* How upfront we are... Is there anyone more blatant than an African? I think not. Some have criticised this as being insensitive but I think the reality is that we just don't have time for fake airs and graces about things. I remember when I had my first child, the first midwife I had was a West African elder... she basically told me to get up and walk around and stop lying about in pain. My first reaction was 'What the !?!' but I could see in her face that she was genuinely concerned about me (I was in agonnny!) and actually treated me the same as she probably would her own child.

* The fact that in the canteen at work, the African staff always bump up your plate with extra food or accidentally on purpose under charge you at the till.
"To kill a woman is to kill humanity itself"

#28 Kibibi

Kibibi

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    AfricanCaribbean

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (Lady Vee @ Jan 4 2006, 11:43 AM)
African children. I love the way they look and feel. europeans just look so washed out!

clap.gif The majority of us are beautiful from birth...and we have hair-not born pink and naked like rodents.

The braiding skills we have when it comes to hair...whether it is natural or relaxed-wish I was a part of that crew sad.gif

#29 Sekhmet

Sekhmet

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:53 PM

This is what I love about my race.

I remember A friend lost a loved one and where ever she stepped there was always a African ready to take my friend into their arms and embrace her. I am not talking about a non emotional simply response such as sorry to hear about your lost but geninue heartfelt warm offerings of help in any shape and form.

One incident we were at a market stall I took her out to get fresh air and shop and the stall owner said something jokey and I laughed and then she looked at my friend and said hey whats wrong with you don't you have a funny bone. My friend looked at her and said sorry I lost a loved one and not in the mood. That women jumped up from her stool and hugged my friend and made her sit down. Then the other stall holders were giving words of comfort to my friend its one of those things of you had to be there to see it.

I love our vibrant ways

I love the respect we have for our elders and hope this is not lost amongst the next generation because the way the elders are treated in this country majoritly by whites is appauling they treat their pet animals better.

I love the way all our social gatherings is centered around food and not a shop brought pre-packed processed food in site (well not the main food or majority) everything home cooked from scracth because we have pride in our cooking and cusine.

I love the way we communicate with each other passing in the street just by certain expression we don't even need to speak verbally to each other and the way we could be in a room full of other races and 90% of the time the Africans will always acknowledge each other.

#30 abissinia

abissinia

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:56 PM

Stepping off the plane in Africa, the smell, the sun, the air…. Is there anything closer to heaven than that feeling?

I love how accommodating we are.

The familiarity feeling you feel (a bit like feeling at home) when you are surrounded by Africans even thou you know none of them.

Listening to African people telling stories… Ahhh used to love it when I was a kid and I sit on my grandmas lap and she’d tell me the most fantastic stories… which was really our family history but she told it as if my dad was the most intelligent man the world has ever seen, and grandpa was some warrior king, big, strong and mighty powerful…. She was so good at telling these stories that I actually believed he was everything she said he was.

Elderly African women dancing… don’t know why but I feel the most at peace watching my mum and her friends dance.

The food… especially when my mum makes em. Ah yumm…

Edited by abissinia, 04 January 2006 - 08:57 PM.

user posted image

#31 SamJones

SamJones

Advanced Contributor

• Expired
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:World Peace (I really mean that!)

• Are you African: N
  • Cultural Heritage:
    uk

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:01 PM

I'm thinking you would naturally be biased (of course) so an outsiders thoughts:

The caring and nurturing that african women have shown me. Big hugs.

The full throttle laugh, effortless and genuine.

The way you stick together... not a lot of that in my community.

The diversity of Africa

#32 DSP

DSP

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Kpelle/Bassa/Freed Kidnap Victim

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (SamJones @ Jan 4 2006, 09:01 PM)
I'm thinking you would naturally be biased (of course) so an outsiders thoughts:

The caring and nurturing that african women have shown me. Big hugs.

The full throttle laugh, effortless and genuine.

The way you stick together... not a lot of that in my community.

The diversity of Africa

Letting it out in parts eh? biggrin.gif confessions are good for the soul.

As we say back home.. "Small small"

**scratches chin**

#33 SamJones

SamJones

Advanced Contributor

• Expired
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:World Peace (I really mean that!)

• Are you African: N
  • Cultural Heritage:
    uk

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:18 PM

Don't read into it! Take it for what it is. tongue.gif

#34 yorubagirl

yorubagirl

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Establishing a business enterprise in Dominica. Reading, writing, daydreaming and living a stress free life with my darling husband.
    :)

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:04 AM

I love the way that African women look - regardless of age. Y'all know the adage 'Black don't crack'. We are stunning in our different ages.
African men - absolutely beautiful! Especially the brothas with locs and afros *swoon*
Our food..... mmmmmmm
The way that we communicate amongst ourselves - especially when there is a european in sight and the non verbal signs we give to ourselves when we understand the bigger picture laugh.gif
The way that we move so rhythmically... whether in dance or simply, walking
When I get off the plane in Nigeria and I am surrounded by sights, smells and sounds which are familiar to me - biggest bonus, being surrounded by folk who look just like me biggrin.gif
Natural, chemical free hair tongue.gif
African children - nuff said
Seeing African men and women who are in love... I'm such a romantic rolleyes.gif

#35 Lady Vee

Lady Vee

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Grenadian/Guyanese

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (yorubagirl @ Jan 5 2006, 07:04 AM)
Seeing African men and women who are in love... I'm such a romantic rolleyes.gif

When Hubby and I are out together, wearing our rings, he in his robes, me with my head wrapped, and he touches me tenderly.....that's what you mean, isn't it??? biggrin.gif

Abs,

I hear you about the elders dancing. Boy, I remember my Nan whining her hips to some soca not so long ago...****sigh****

Although my Nan is ill and 80 years old she doesn't look a day over 60. Mum is 60 and looks my age. Good genes me 'ave.

#36 star bust

star bust

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    African-caribbean

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:28 AM

Our Resilience......love the way Africans are Resilient to outside influences.....still keeping our heritage and perserving our culture.

Our Music....love the way our music reflects the way we feel...love Bob marley....Peter Tosh...Bunny Wailer....

My hair....at least I love my Afro....every week I release my pleats and wham i 've got a big Afro...for the whole family to see, my way of preserving the identity of the African woman....with out being ridiculed by the white race.

Family....as an African woman very important. Preservation of my African family wrapping my children in African culture. Being there for my African man empowering him in a world that seeks to disempower him.

The way we respect our Elders...

The way Africans Express themselves....

The way my Gran keeps talking about "Hailie Selassie" and when he visited the Island of Jamaica.......Although she is not a rasta, she can recounts the day that he arrived in Jamaica...... she was a young at the time and she reflects on this every time we have a family occasion... we know what she is going to say before she says it laugh.gif God bless her soul.

Our food.... Fried fish, bammy, dumplings, stew chicken and rice and peas,breadfruit, mangos,green banana,plantine, patties hmmmmmmmm

Our love for each other and our ability to understand common goals beyond the language barriers........

#37 yorubagirl

yorubagirl

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Establishing a business enterprise in Dominica. Reading, writing, daydreaming and living a stress free life with my darling husband.
    :)

• Cultural Heritage:
    Yoruba

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (Lady Vee @ Jan 5 2006, 08:24 AM)
QUOTE (yorubagirl @ Jan 5 2006, 07:04 AM)

[color=blue]When Hubby and I are out together, wearing our rings, he in his robes, me with my head wrapped, and he touches me tenderly.....that's what you mean, isn't it??? biggrin.gif

Of course biggrin.gif
Additionally, I love the fear it instills in european eyes(lies) when African couples are together laugh.gif

#38 SoFrolushes

SoFrolushes

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    African-Caribbean (Jamaican)

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (SoberSimian @ Jan 3 2006, 06:22 PM)
**Except pepper soup LOL... there is no excuse for that.**

popcorn.gif
you softy
My colour is my Joy
Not my burden!!!!

Think outside of the box....Think in spirit.....

#39 Tunduzi

Tunduzi

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:10 PM

I love strong food. I really love strong food. But for me the strength and heat must have a purpose. A reason. To enhance the meat or vegetable it's accompanying.

If all I'm tasty is heat and heat only then for me it's pointless. I love all african food but I find that pepper soup is just silly!

#40 SoFrolushes

SoFrolushes

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    African-Caribbean (Jamaican)

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:27 PM

because we blessed people
My colour is my Joy
Not my burden!!!!

Think outside of the box....Think in spirit.....

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users