• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 Voo

Voo

Ligali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1306 posts
  • Interests:History, politics, literature, music, language, culture, people, progression and revolution...

• Are you African: Y
  • Cultural Heritage:
    Parents were born in Grenada

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

A bit of positivity to start the year. We know there are plenty of issues in our community that we need to deal with but I don't think we sing our praises enough, at least without someone feeling the need to add a negative 'but' clause... So how about we list a few things we love about our fellow Africans, our history and culture.

Here's just a few of mine:

Greetings
I think more and more of us are starting to greet each other. Might just be my personal experience, but either way, its nice.

Expression
Ok, some people would call it being 'loud' but I personally like the fact that we are not very restrained when we communicate. It's who we are.

The way we laugh and cry
I love the fact that we are generally and culturally unrestrained and natural when it comes to both laughing and crying. None of this stiff upper lip crap. I remember going to a funeral a few years ago and few people were restrained when it came to expressing their grief, and that's putting in mildly.

Generosity
When my daughter was born, my Man was inundated with cards and money from fellow Africans at his workplace. On a visit to his workplace with my little un, I had Africans I didn't even know but who knew my Man shoving money in my hand for my daughter.... and you know you can't even think about saying 'Oh, that's too much' because ingratitude is frowned upon.

Our Music
Nuff said

I have PLENTY more but unfortunately have a time limit... will post more later.
"To kill a woman is to kill humanity itself"

#2 JETT BLACK

JETT BLACK

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    AfriCaribJupitarian

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:29 PM

I'm feeling you on that laughter one.There have been times i've laughed soooo hard with my brethren and sistren I felt I would pass out.

It's such a gift,especially when you consider what we have been through as a people,in fact it is probably one of the chief reasons we are still alive.

Ok,here's my contribution,it's totally vain but here goes.

I LOVE MELANIN,LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT,GIVE THANKS EVERYDAY FOR IT.
When I look at my skin,no matter what else may be bringing me down,I cant help but smile. biggrin.gif

#3 Tunduzi

Tunduzi

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:22 PM

Our food wherever it's from is just right. Others is overspicy where different things compete in the pot and drown out the base... others are just bland and dull. Our is always spot on.

**Except pepper soup LOL... there is no excuse for that.**

#4 Sankofa

Sankofa

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1093 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Ghanaian

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:28 PM

Discourse

We love talking about anything, for as long as we want. There is something special and particular about these discussion, I can’t put my finger on it exactly....it’s like your in a different space with the individuals concerned (I guess it comes from strong oral traditions)

#5 Tunduzi

Tunduzi

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:32 PM

^^^

And I love how we are not all hushed and shushy when we speak. When we speak it's big, expressive and it means something.

#6 Sooofresh

Sooofresh

Loyal Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:39 PM

Ghanian and Nigerian men...........nuff said..........lovely jubbly

#7 Gazelle

Gazelle

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    BUQ

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:41 PM

Sooofresh.......that's West African men.......yummy.......

#8 Kibibi

Kibibi

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    AfricanCaribbean

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:09 PM

Our sense of humour

Our ability to be original in our creativity

Our food-ABSOLUTELY

The countries we call home: Africans outside of England live in some of the -if not THE-most naturally beautiful places in the world.

Our hair

Our women

Our men

*might add more later*

#9 DSP

DSP

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Kpelle/Bassa/Freed Kidnap Victim

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:10 PM

bonds, once you're friends with someone it' takes alot to break it, and they last long.

and the hospitality...

I also like I can go to an African's house and get a OFFERED a full meal, but I offend them by only accepting half. smile.gif

#10 The Freelance Scientist

The Freelance Scientist

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2358 posts
  • Interests:Education, Politics, Current Affairs, Dialogue with the community and others.

I like going to the gym, playing football and travelling the world. I'm at university at the moment.

• Cultural Heritage:
    Mandinka

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:44 PM

African genorisity is second to none. On various visits to the Gambia and Senegal, I've been taken aback by the caring and sharing that is totally lacking in England. Here, you could live next to your neighbor and not realized they've been dead for three weeks.

I love the passion in our music, in whatever language the music is sung; the traditional instrument we play seem to be at one with nature.

Our rich food...nuff said.

African women, whether they come from the Caribbean or Africa. They're intelligent, sexy, clean, strong and courageous. No other woman from other races even comes close. I'm hooking up with Nubian princess in the week and she's all of these things. I'm praying it goes well.

African men, the true kings of the earth.

I love the wisdom and knowledge possessed in our elders. You can learn more from them in an afternoon than reading a book.

I'm real proud of my heritage!
[i]The Freelance Scientist: He Is The Eternal Student.

#11 Blakaveli

Blakaveli

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    London born West African

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:17 PM

...Dark Skin

It's the simple things that mean so much! wink.gif

biggrin.gif

#12 Gazelle

Gazelle

Family

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    BUQ

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:41 PM

The long ass heated debates.....Africans are the most opinionated people in the world......would not have it any other way....... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif clap.gif

Edited by Gazelle, 03 January 2006 - 11:41 PM.

#13 Tunduzi

Tunduzi

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:49 PM

^^ Gazelle

I like how they normally break out at drink ups or gatherings like that. People get DEEEEP

#14 JETT BLACK

JETT BLACK

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    AfriCaribJupitarian

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (The Freelance Scientist @ Jan 3 2006, 08:44 PM)
African genorisity is second to none. On various visits to the Gambia and Senegal, I've been taken aback by the caring and sharing that is totally lacking in England. Here, you could live next to your neighbor and not realized they've been dead for three weeks.

I love the passion in our music, in whatever language the music is sung; the traditional instrument we play seem to be at one with nature.

Our rich food...nuff said.

African women, whether they come from the Caribbean or Africa. They're intelligent, sexy, clean, strong and courageous. No other woman from other races even comes close. I'm hooking up with Nubian princess in the week and she's all of these things. I'm praying it goes well.

African men, the true kings of the earth.

I love the wisdom and knowledge possessed in our elders. You can learn more from them in an afternoon than reading a book.

I'm real proud of my heritage!

Errm,I would know after day two as I have an acute sense of smell. biggrin.gif

#15 Taysense

Taysense

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Somalian

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:06 AM

African love of family and values, our love for our culture. Our welcoming attitude for our own.

African mothers an father, dropping wisdome wether you they'r child or not.

#16 InCharge

InCharge

Loyal Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:18 AM

MYSELF!
http://www.trinicenter.com/

#17 Proafrican

Proafrican

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:28 AM

I love it how we can feel at home in the company of fellow Africans rather than KNOWING that everything we do amongst whites is judged on our hue

#18 DSP

DSP

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    Kpelle/Bassa/Freed Kidnap Victim

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:33 AM

I love the way African women feed you and after you finish they offer you the last piece on their plate. I love to offer them mine.

An African man can be touchy feely without you getting the uneasy feeling of "Is he gay?" Being in the west too long has made me too sensitive to that. It's gotten so bad you cant' mention wiping your own **cough** ass**cough** excuse me, bum after using the bathroom without someone mentioning it being homo to even touching there.

#19 JETT BLACK

JETT BLACK

Advanced Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    AfriCaribJupitarian

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (DSP @ Jan 4 2006, 12:33 AM)
I love the way African women feed you and after you finish they offer you the last piece on their plate. I love to offer them mine.

An African man can be touchy feely without you getting the uneasy feeling of "Is he gay?" Being in the west too long has made me too sensitive to that. It's gotten so bad you cant' mention wiping your own **cough** ass**cough** excuse me, bum after using the bathroom without someone mentioning it being homo to even touching there.

ROTFL at second paragraph ...so true.

Laughing even harder at the first,the very notion that I would give you my last piece of food has me in hysterics. biggrin.gif

But lets not get off topic DSP,try to resist answering this.*evil grin*

#20 Kibibi

Kibibi

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

• Cultural Heritage:
    AfricanCaribbean

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:03 AM

Forgot to add (but I think someone may have already mentioned it):